Calculate Due Time based upon Client's Holidays

ED DevOps D2 December 23, 2021

Greetings,

Currently, we have an automation rule set up for all projects, which sets automatically a due date for all estimations we need to provide.

In this case, for example, an estimation needs to be provided within 5 working days. However, the due date needs to be calculated based on the client’s calendar. Their holidays are different to ours so if e.g an estimation is requested on 22/12, the rule will set the due date to 29/12. This is incorrect, though, because during 23/12-2/1 the client will be on holidays. Therefore, the correct due date would be 7/1.

What we currently do is check if there is a holiday and manually adjust the due date if needed, but we would like to have a way to do this without going through the manual calculation.

Is there a way to do it? Maybe a calendar add-on which we can populate with client's holiday dates. Then use that calendar to the automation mentioned above? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

automation.jpg

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2021

Hi @ED DevOps D2 

Short answer: I believe you are going to need to implement this yourself, perhaps repeatedly checking if the due date is impacted by holidays and increment appropriately.

Longer answer:

• Currently the automation rules do not use the working and holidays configured in projects.  According to the documentation, "business days are considered to be Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm"
  • There are suggestions to add holiday/working day handling for date functions for automation: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-1623 and https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JIRAAUTOSERVER-186
  • One work-around would be to hard-code (or add as entity properties) the holiday list, and update the date field if it falls between the starting point and known holidays, and increment the business days.  Remember to account for time zones to avoid one-off errors.

Kind regards,
Bill

ED DevOps D2 January 7, 2022

Hi @Bill Sheboy,

Thanks for replying.

"One work-around would be to hard-code (or add as entity properties) the holiday list, and update the date field if it falls between the starting point and known holidays, and increment the business days. Remember to account for time zones to avoid one-off errors."

Could you please give me more pointers for the aforementioned operation or anything related?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2022

Hi @ED DevOps D2 

My apologies as I just discovered I never answered your follow-up question!

My original "short answer" of hard-coding these with repeated conditions, one holiday at a time, appears to be the solution at this point...because...

After experimentation I found that smart value, list filtering cannot use parameters in functions from created variables....And, advanced branching would lead to unpredictable results of doing this one-holiday-at-a-time.  So my suggestion of using entity properties as a list cannot work.

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer