It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

CSV import comments, author, date

Is there a way to associate the comment author and date to the comment body using the CSV importer? If not is there a more efficient way to do this? Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

Sure, there is please use following syntax for the comment columns: "01/01/2012 10:10;Admin; This comment works".

Remember that the data format must math the one set during the wizard.

I have prepared the CSV as mentioned above; however i am stuck at mapping. There is no 'comment' column in dropdown to map to (as shown in screenshot below).

So where do I import the comments?JIRA CSV Comment Import.png

@Sufian Rashid, I'm having the same issue, did you find a solution?

Hi @Kelly Albrecht

Yes i found the solution. Actually there are two imports.

One is 'Bulk Create CSV Import' and other is 'External CSV Import'

When i used the external import; i found all the missing fields there.

Please see below screenshots for more details.

Step 1:

step1.png

Step 2:

step2.png

Step 3:step3.png

Like # people like this

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to set in the CSV if the comment is private or public ?

In case of Service Desk import for example.

Best regards,

kvn_ln

+1 Would really appreciate a way to import comment visibility

Like # people like this

I do not have an answer to this, but this relates to an ongoing thread I posted a while back. If they were to ever add this functionality, being able to control comment visibility at the bulk import level would also be nice... 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/JIRA-Service-Desk-Email-Handler-amp-Comments/qaq-p/922673

I have been trying to resolve this in recent days. A CSV with comments with date and time (12 hour clock) imported all times as AM - not good. That was using "dd/MM/yyyy HH:mm a" as the date import mask in JIRA. 

In the end, I converted all the comment times in the CSV to 24 hour format and removed the AM PM suffix using search and replace in Excel. So you end up with this structure (note the space between date and time):

10/10/2019 16:45;<userid>;comment detail

The date mask in JIRA was set to "dd/MM/yyyy HH:mm" 

This worked perfectly, gave the comment the correct time and date and attributed it to the correct user (provided the user ID maps to a live account).

My userID was actually mapped to a staff number but yours will be different. 

Might hopefully be of help to someone. Amending all the comments was painful but can be automated with a bit of creative thinking to identify a unique string then just search and replace. 

Andrew

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

347 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you