CSV Import: "Status 'In Review' does not have a linked step in the 'jira' workflow. Please map to a different status"

Remco Groen November 21, 2014

We're currently researching new tools to migrate our project management to, including JIRA, but when I'm importing the issues in CSV format (from BugNet) most of the issues can't be imported because of the following error:

"com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.external.ExternalException: Status 'In Review' does not have a linked step in the 'jira' workflow. Please map to a different status."

Not only for 'In Review', but also for 'Done', 'Backlog', e.a. all statusses I've mapped. The only status successfully mapped is 'Closed', but obviously I'd like to keep the status of the other issues. Any suggestions?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 21, 2014

All issues must have a status, and the importer is simply asking you how to map the status it is finding in the CSV on to the status that you currently have in JIRA.

It sounds like you have not created the status you want to place the issues in, or, if you have created the status, you have not used them in any workflows that are valid for the project you want to import your issues into.

Check that you have a workflow with your status in it, applied to the project (and issue type if you have different workflows by issue type)

Remco Groen November 21, 2014

Well I'm starting a new project, so there are no statusses before the wizard is started. I've mapped each status to a known JIRA issue type, in the 'values' step I map each option to a JIRA status in the last column. The issues I've mapped to 'Closed' are working fine. This is using the Import External Project wizard. I've also looked at the Import Issues from CSV wizard, but it's not offering some fields the aforementioned wizard does offer.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 21, 2014

Ah, well, in that case, you need to create workflows. The reason "closed" works is that there is a "closed" status in the default Jira workflow, and that really is a default - if you don't apply a workflow to a project, JIRA uses the default workflow. You don't map status to issue type, you need to map issue type to issue type, and status to status.

0 votes
philas January 7, 2015

Hi Remco, has your Transfer from Bugnet to JIRA worked?

As there are many issues in bugnet its quite a complicated process ?!

Do you have any possibility to Access and Transfer it directly in the SQL Server?

Remco Groen January 18, 2015

I've managed to import all our old issues to JIRA, thanks.

Suggest an answer