Bymistake I moved Epic to a Component ,how should I revert back this change .

raju_bonagiri
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 18, 2023

Bymistake I moved Epic say APPPLT-2023 to Component, now I need to move this component to same EPic number (APPPLT-2023) as that Epic number is already published and stakeholder are watching that Epic. If I create new Epic , I need to inform all stakeholders is there a way to create Epic with old Epic no or can I revert that change back to original Epic state with same Epic ID ?

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2023

Hello @raju_bonagiri 

When you say you moved the Epic to "Component" do you mean you changed the issue type from "Epic" to "Component"? 

If so, did the issue remain in the same project or move to a different project?

If it remained in the same project then the issue key (APPPPLT-2023) should not have changed.

If you moved it to a different project, then the issue key would have changed and you can't change it back.

Jira keeps track of issue key changes when issues are moved to different projects so that when a user enters the old issue key in a search, or has a link with the old issue key, Jira can automatically redirect them to the issue under its new key.

If you move the issue back to its original project Jira will keep track of that issue key change again, and handle the redirection from the original key to the current key automatically.

raju_bonagiri
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 20, 2023

@Trudy Claspill  yes I changed the issue type from "Epic" to "Component" .

It is moved to new project , yes searching with old Epic id/key , Jira is automatically redirecting to new key . 

If I move again from Component to Epic , can I map to old Epic Id/key in this case APPPPLT-2023 ?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2023

If you move the issue back to the first project you cannot force it to have the original ID of APPPPLT-2023. It will get a new ID. When a user types in the original ID or uses a link with the original ID, Jira will automatically redirect to the issues under its new, current ID.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events