It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Burn Down Chart Not Showing Progress

Tom Mastal Feb 22, 2018

My project's burndown chart constantly shows a flat red line. Is there something I have misconfigured or not had the team update a field in the User Stories? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tom

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough [Adaptavist] Community Leader Feb 22, 2018

Are you estimating the issues with story points, hours, or another field?  (Note - not sub-task types, only the story level stuff). 

Is that the field selected in the estimation statistic for the board?

Are all the issues you expect to be burned down in the far-right column of the board?

Tom Mastal Feb 22, 2018

1. We are estimating with Story Points.

2. The Estimation Statistic is Story Points but Time Tracking is Remaining Estimate and Time Spent. I think this should be moved to None.

3. Not all of the issues are moved to the far-right (Done) column yet.

Tom Mastal Feb 23, 2018

Update: The administrator changed the Time Tracking to None. Now the Burn Down Chart looks like this. Any assistance, is greatly appreciated.BurnDown Chart1.jpg

Nic Brough [Adaptavist] Community Leader Feb 23, 2018

Looks to me like you are adding stories into the sprint (or adding points to stories in it) but never completing any.  Are you moving your stories into the far right hand column at all?

Tom Mastal Feb 26, 2018

Nic,

Thanks for the reply. No I couldn't move the stories to the far right b/c I work with a gov't entity and user story isn't done until it goes through a through security scan. That being said, we deployed over the weekend and I have moved about half of the user stories to the far right (which is Production) for our team. This is what the Burn Down Chart looks like now. It's still looking messed up. 

2018-02-26_12-11-15.jpg

Nic Brough [Adaptavist] Community Leader Feb 26, 2018

I'm not sure what's wrong with it, could you explain?

It now has the line falling on the far right, as you've marked some stuff "done", so it looks right to me.

Tom Mastal Feb 26, 2018

Nic,

I am more accustomed to seeing Burn Down Charts like the example I am showing here. Perhaps, I'm missing a proper configuration in how I track User Stories or something?

Thanks for any insight.

burn down chart example.jpg

Nic Brough [Adaptavist] Community Leader Feb 26, 2018

The burndown chart you would look like that if you had been moving the stories to "done" during the sprint.  You've moved them all at the end of the sprint and you've been adding points into the sprint during the execution.  The graph can only go on the information you give it.

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Early Access: If you use Jenkins and Jira Software Cloud, you need to read this!

The Jira Software Cloud Team has been busy working on a simple, secure, and reliable way to integrate your build and deployment information from Jenkins with Jira Software Cloud. This means you don’t...

263 views 0 8
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you