Bulk resolution / resolved date modification post issue closure

Ran Wronsky May 5, 2024

Hello,

I have a situation I'm unsure how to overcome which I hope someone have experienced.

I've built a velocity report in which I can track multiple issues according to the month they were resolved at.

I have seen that for some stories which had a specific workflow with no post function to update the resolution, the resolution is blank and resolution date / resolved field is blank as well.

For that reason these do not show on the chart.

I am able to find those based on status = done and status category change date. 

The problem is that I can not use the statuscategorychange as an axis in the chart I'm building.

That leaves me trying to find a way to update the resolution date retroactively.

I can't edit that field using bulk update,

Trying to export and import a CSV results in 0 issues updated.

What are my options to Edit the resolution date withot importing the relevant issues as new from CSV?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2024

Hi @Ran Wronsky , you actually can bulk update the resolution field, but it will require a bit of work. You need to temporarily update the workflow and add a looped transition from your done status back into your done status and on that transition include a post function to set the resolution to done. Name that transition something unique such as "reentrant". Once you publish the workflow, you should see that transition available on those issues without a resolution set. Now using an appropriate JQL to locate all of these issues you can then edit the issue in bulk and choose the transition option. Once you have cleared everything up, you should go back into your workflow and remove that transition. You should also ensure that you add a post function to your normal transitions into done to ensure that the resolution is properly set. It is also worth noting that you should always clear the resolution field if you ever exit the done status, reopening the issue.

for what it's worth, there are a number of discussions on this very topic in the community, and there are other ways to actually address this as well as some good best practices regarding setting the resolution field. It might be worthwhile doing a bit of research if you'd like.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events