Bulk migrating issue types timeout

Dan Churchill November 16, 2018

I've got a project with 6000 tasks in it and I'm trying to migrate it to a new issue type and workflow scheme I've set up.

Initially it was timing out when going through one of the issue type migration steps to do with one of the task types that has 3000 tasks in it.

My solution here was to split that one issue type into 4 temporary issue types so each step of the migration would be doing it in chunks.

Trying now it seems to be timing out _again_ but this time on ridiculous parts of the migration process like an issue type that has THIRTY NINE tasks in it. A second attempt and it times out on a task that worked fine the last time.

Any advice on how to do this?

I have an export of the error that happened but not sure how to attach it here? It was

java.lang.NullPointerException  

1 answer

0 votes
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2018

Hi @Dan Churchill

could you post the whole log to postbin.com?

Dan Churchill November 17, 2018

Hey Tom,

Yep. Here you go. That's the error that was dumped by Jira. Now, this was after I refreshed it the first time it 504'd so it may actually not be related to the _actual_ problem :(

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2018

Hi

were there some lines before that showing ERROR message.

as it’s to do with field migration it may be that the field configuration scheme or field contexts are incompatible between the issue types

The only text before it is

Cause

Referer URL: Unknown

java.lang.NullPointerException

----

hmmm the problem is that the first time i did the migration it worked for this particular issue type and timed out on a different one, so this particular issue type did work at least once. 

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2018

Hi

You may have to try Atlassian support desk for this one. The error is too general for me to make any sensible suggestions. Sorry

Hopefully someone else will join in, but it is the weekend!

THanks for your help @Tom Lister

Suggest an answer