Bulk-edit modifying existing values

Teemu Patja December 3, 2012

Hi,

We have a bunch of issues in JIRA with a typo in a custom field value. The custom field holds values for URL's to our old bug tracker. The problem is that the host part of the URL is wrong in all of the issues.

Is there a way to fix this using bulk-edit or some other feature? To clariify, the need is to do a string replace for the existing values.

Thanks,

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2012

Yes, this is possible with JIRA Command Line Interface. Use runFromIssueList to do this for all issues satisfying a query. Use copyFieldValue to copy the custom field back to itself using findReplace and/or findReplaceRegex to do the substitution. Be careful to test this on a small number of issues first so you get it right. Use --simulate to see the copy actions that will be run based on your query.

Here is an example:

jira --action runFromIssueList --search project=zjiracli --common "-a copyFieldValue --issue @issue@ --field custom2 --field2 custom2 --findReplaceRegex this.com:that.com"

This will do exactly what I need, thank you.

Hmm.. It looks like the JIRA CLI costs money. For my simple need I think I will rather write script that uses the SOAP API rather than pay. Sorry.

Like David Leal likes this
0 votes
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 3, 2012

Hi,

You should be able to use bulk edit to change the existing custom fields. However, please bear in mind that this can only work if the custom field is set to appear in all the issues that you are about to bulk edit. Otherwise, you might not be able to see the custom field when bulk-editing.

Cheers,

Joe

Yes, I'm aware that you can bulk-edit any field. However, you can only speficy one value for a field that will be applied to all items being bulk-edited. My question was about modifying existing values with it. Ie. change the beginning of the URL of each unique URL.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events