Bulk delete parent link

Marina Barbir
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 16, 2018

Hi, 

I am looking for a way to delete more than 1000 tasks from a parent node. I tried both - working on the parent node and working on the children - but no luck.

• Going into the parent node I can only delete one linked child at a time so it's pretty time consuming.
  • Going to the search and performing a bulk edit of all children does not let me edit issue links.

Any workaround or tip that could save me a night shift?

Thanks!

Marina

2 answers

0 votes
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2018

Hi @Marina Barbir

are you able to use any scripting tools in your Jira installation?

are the issues related to parent via issue links or as sub-tasks?

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2018

Hi

If you can run SQL, this will enable you to get the id's of issue links

SELECT 
il.id as linkid,
ilt.linkname,
concat(pr.pname,'-',ji1.issuenum) as source_key,
concat(pr.pname,'-',ji2.issuenum) as dest_key
FROM issuelink il, issuelinktype ilt, jiraissue ji1, jiraissue ji2, project pr
where ilt.id = linktype
and source = ji1.id
and destination = ji2.id
and pr.id = ji1.project

you could then create 'curl' calls to remove those links

curl -insecure -u admin:admin -X DELETE -H "Content-Type: application/json" http://localhost:8080/rest/api/2/issueLink/10101
0 votes
Thomas B
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2018

Hello @Marina Barbir,

I believe you are trying to delete all issues that have a link to some parent issue. If so, you could perform a search issue in linkedIssues("ParentIssueID") 

1. Select Tools
  2. Bulk Change: all issues.
  3. Select all issues to delete and hit Next
  4. Select Delete Issues

I hope this is what you were looking for!

Thanks

Marina Barbir
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 16, 2018

Hi @Thomas B

I am actually not trying to delete the issues themselves but I want to "unlink" them from the parent, which doesn't seem to be possible via bulk edit?

Thanks for your quick response however.

Suggest an answer