I need to do issue bulk change betwenn two different projects. But when I start to do this change some request fields look messy or doesn't appers.
The first project uses a, b and c requested fields and I'm going to do a bulk change to another project with x,y and z requested fields. But this x,y and z fields somethimes doesn't appear during the bulk change.
Anyone have any idea what it could be?
Further information identifies that the problem occurs when you make the move, the fields that are not listed correctly are of type Dynamic Forms
The prints its the problem during the move.
In the first print can see "Mover incidencia:Actuializa campos" - Issue move and update fields.The first combo box our customer choose the item "Ninguno", but there aren't the field name, the same occurs in the 2nd and 4th field.
The 3th field appers correctly the name "Catalogo de Servicios".
The second print is the move in same situation, but just the 3th and 4th fields name appears correctly.In the 3th and 4th prints you can see the screen "Crear Incidencia" - Create issue - and 3 fields with their names.
I open a ticket at https://intenso.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/SUPPORT-21893 and receive this answer.
"Thank you for your detailed response - I have managed to reproduce this problem and it has been passed to our developers.
I will keep you informed if this fix is available on our Marketplace.
I really sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your help once again!"
Hi community members, My name is Erika and I’m a product manager at Atlassian. We’re currently investigating how teams are planning work at the program level. We understand that every team in a tea...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events