Bulk Change Description Field

Elif Alverson September 21, 2018

Hello, 

I am trying to Bulk Change the Description of 90 tickets however " Description" field does not show up at "Choose Operation : Edit Issues" . I checked the Edit Screen Scheme and it is there. What am I missing? 

For some reason all the custom fields which are not being used by this project show up.  

Thanks!

Elif

4 answers

2 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Mohamed Riza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 24, 2018

Hi @Elif Alverson

It is currently not possible to bulk edit the description of issues in Jira. The following feature request was created to address this: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-67821. You may vote on the feature request. 

Elif Alverson September 24, 2018

Thank you.

Like # people like this
Aaron-Lyonel Fritschi March 5, 2021

When will this finally be possible if I may ask? It seems like an important bulk change feature to me and of course I'd need it right now :D 

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 5, 2021

@Aaron-Lyonel Fritschi - I'd (also?) chime in on the ticket linked above, especially if Mohamed turned off notifications on this thread.

Like # people like this
Vincent de Regnauld de Bellescize September 17, 2021

For this matter you can:

1. Create a screen with the description field on it
  2. Edit your Workflow
  3. Add a transition with:
    1. From status: Any status
    2. To Status: Itself
    3. Name: "Bulk Edit Description"
    4. Screen: *Name_of_your_screen* (created in step 1)
  4. Optional: Add some Conditions on the new transition for security purpose (ex: project role Admin)
  5. Save workflow
  6. Test it on several issue in different status (status should stay the same), before bulk edit
  7. Once 6 validated, make your bulk edit with "transition Issues" and "Bulk Edit Description"
  8. Don't forget to untick "Send mail for this update" (or not, as you wish)

Hope this help.

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2021

@Vincent de Regnauld de Bellescize - ooh, I love the ingeniousness of this workaround!

3 votes
Answer accepted
Dan Scheib March 25, 2022

Use Project Automation. Hopefully this is part of the standard Jira service. Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 4.46.21 PM.png

sheeba_david April 26, 2023

Thanks. This solved our problem.

Like Dave Liao likes this
1 vote
David Phelps July 18, 2022

The two complex solutions provided unfortunately require global admin permissions, while editing the Description field should not. 

1 vote
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2021

One workaround is to use the CSV bulk import to mass define Description across many issues.

There's at least two disadvantages to this approach:

• you need Global Admin Permissions to perform this import
  • this only mass sets the Description value, not append
Deleted user January 15, 2021

Can we make a bulk change to Summary field Empty as well

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2021

@[deleted] - the Summary field can't be blank.

However, if you want to bulk edit a bunch of issues to have the same Summary, you can use the CSV method to do this.

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2021

Vincent suggested an ingenious workaround that would work for Summary fields too! (It's on this page.)

Suggest an answer