Building team task view

Ori Finkelman September 24, 2011

We are using at Qwilt Atlassian for JIRA and Wiki.

I am looking for a tool that will allow me to create tasm tasks dashboard. I would like to be able to create and share by myself and the team memebers the following information.

1. Each team memeber task queue.

2. Description of the tasks.

3. Current status of each task in words in progress percentage.

4. Related JIRA issues if any.

5. Links to blog posts or wiki pages if any.

6. Pictures / screen shots related to the task.

I hope Confluence or other Atlassian tool what I am looking for. Would appriciate any links or pointers to documentation that can help me evaluate your solutions for that.

Thanks,

Ori

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2011

Hi,

Not sure about the way you would like to have this information represented.

I think that JIRA dashboard (or embedded JIRA portlets in a Confluence page) is what should sastisfy you.

Ad 1. These are just standard queries, a single query for each team member (I assume you will use task assigment to mark given issue as someone's task (in his queue). Then your query look like "assignee = <your team member username>". I think that if you want to track all people's queues in a single dashboard - then you can add N (for each team member) instances of Filter Results gadget. Also Filter Statistics gadget may be sufficient for you.

More info about available gadgets (there are tons more available as plugins and you can always write your own) - http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Customising+the+Dashboard

Ad 2. Description of a task - that's core JIRA functionality. If you tasks are simple, then often description becomes task summary - then it's easily displayable in Filter Results gadget (see point above)

Ad 3. Filter Results gadget can show current status of each displayed issue. JIRA normally does not offer something like completing status in percentage - because such metrics is something completely user-specific (and of course we all know that after first 90% we have only another 90% left to accomplish the task ;)). You can always however write a plugin, use a custom field or simply use Time Tracking info (where the percentage would be (logged time / estimated time) - but beware - your progress may be then greater than 100% :)

Ad 4. You can display issue links in the gadget (Filter Results again) and that should do the trick for you

Ad 5. If you links are kept as custom fields (e.g. URL type), then again you can display them in the gadget. Alternatively if you build your team activity "monitoring centre" inside Confluence rather than as JIRA dashboard, then you can just use a Confluence page and put there links wherever you wish.

Ad 6. Pictures/screenshots are displayed by JIRA OOB in issue view screen. They are also visible in Activity Monitor.

To sum up: study a little bit JIRA Dashboard and available gadgets, Confluence-JIRA integration and custom fields (including URL field).

I hope it helps. If you have further problems, please try to ask more specific questions.

Cheers,

Wojtek

Ori Finkelman September 25, 2011

Thanks Wojtek, this is most helpful.

Regards,

Ori

Suggest an answer