Building a complex JQL: All Epics with certain Label with their issues & subtask

tfreriks October 22, 2019

Hi!

Maybe someone can help me out, couldn't find this answer at the Fora nor at Google.

I need te build a JQL Issue Filter where I would like to get as a result:

• All Epics with the Label "ABC"
    • + All the Issues/Stories (with or without any label) belonging to these Epics
      • + All the subtasks (with or without any label) belonging to these Issues./Stories

I've been trying with 'In parent' and stuff but couldn't figure out how to get this without using plugins.

Anyone?

We are using Jira Server V8.4.1

Thomas & Rory

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 22, 2019

Hi tfreriks,

You need a third-party plugin to create such a complex query.

After installing JQL Booster Pack (FREE), you need to type the following:

(type = Epic AND labels = ABC) OR issue IN issuesInEpics('type = Epic and labels = ABC') OR issue IN subtasksOf("(type = Epic and labels = ABC) OR issue IN issuesInEpics('type = Epic and labels = ABC')")

The above query will retrieve:

1. - any Epic labelled as ABC,
2.- any subtask directly created under those epics,
3.- any stories/issues within those epics on the Epic Link field
4.- or any subtasks created under issues matching point 3

Regards

tfreriks October 24, 2019

Works like a charm!

Great answer...

I had to do some tweaking with the filter, but givin the question, this answer was perfect!

Thx @Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_

Stephan Grubbe Sølby March 25, 2021

Great @Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_! I spent the entire afternoon in search for a variant of this one. I needed:

1, - a subset of epics in one particular project

2. - all issues in said epics

3. - all subtasks of issues in said epic.

Here's my solution inspired by Jack's:

project = "XYZ" AND issuekey in (EPIC-3, EPIC-23, EPIC-24, EPIC-25, EPIC-45, EPIC-46) OR issue in issuesInEpics("issuekey in (EPIC-3, EPIC-23, EPIC-24, EPIC-25, EPIC-45, EPIC-46)") OR issue in subtasksof("\"epic link\" in (EPIC-3, EPIC-23, EPIC-24, EPIC-25, EPIC-45, EPIC-46)")
0 votes
Thomas Magny-Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2019

Hi @tfreriks 
I think it is not possible without plugin.

Using ScriptRunnner, you should be able to do your request like

issueFunction in issuesInEpics("summary ~"ABC"")

Hope it helps !

Suggest an answer