Board setting in Next-gen projects

Nadine Khodabaccus January 23, 2019

Hi,

I am not able to find how to configure the board settings in the next-gen project. Can anyone please help me? 

Thanks!

5 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ivan Teong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 25, 2020

Hi Atlassian Community,

We hear you.

Currently, there are many features that are configured within board settings.

We are considering working on board settings in FY21, but board settings will be shipped with some features and not all (otherwise it'd take forever to ship), and how we decide which feature(s) will make into the first version of board settings will be determined/sequenced according to various considerations.

Note that the current configuration conceptual model for next-gen is simple, as project-board mapping is 1-1.

Bringing board settings into the picture will require more in-depth research as it introduces additional complexity into the product conceptual model, which will affect new users onboarding into next-gen.

Please vote for this PC ticket to track when/how we're working on it: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17331

You can also follow the public roadmap: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/whats-new/next-gen#shipped

Regards,

Ivan Teong

Product Manager, Jira Software

Winfred August 26, 2020

Thanks for listening. Looking forward to it.

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2020

Thank you for the update on this @Ivan Teong 

2 votes
Answer accepted
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2019

Hi Nadine,

Were you looking for a specific configuration?

For configuration in next-gen project boards, you can currently do 2 rules-

• Automatically change an issue's assignee
  • Automatically update an issue field

Follow the steps here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/add-rules-to-your-next-gen-board-950285979.html

You can also change around the columns too:

Add, edit, and rearrange columns

You can add, edit, and rearrange columns to make the board reflect your team's process.

1. Column name: Update the column's name by clicking it.
  2. Rearrange columns by clicking and holding the header to drag and drop.
  3. Add columns by clicking the + beside the farthest column.

Otherwise, it's meant to be very simple, so you won't see the plethora of options that exist for boards in regular scrum/kanban projects.

Hope this helps!

Carolyn

Nadine Khodabaccus January 23, 2019

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for your reply.

I was looking into setting the working/non-working days like in kanban/scrum projects. I guess this is not possible in the next-gen project, right?

Thanks so much for your help!

Nadine

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2019

You're welcome!

Definitely vote and follow this ticket to see about working/non-working days settings:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17331

Have a great day,
Carolyn

Like Zoltan Veszer likes this
Nadine Khodabaccus January 24, 2019

Thank you so much for your help Carolyn. 

Have a nice day too.

Cheers,

Nadine

David Dobney
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 14, 2019

Hi,

How do you delete a column from a next-gen board?  I created one I don't want but can't delete.

How can I configure the board or other item to see all the done stories?

thanks

David

Like Satish.komali likes this
David Dobney
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 14, 2019

...I should clarify, where can I see every story done in the history of the project, including those that were done before being added to a sprint? thanks

Roopa Raghavan May 15, 2019

@David Dobney Deleting a column from a next-gen board is an option you'll see if you hover mouse over right side corner of the column. The options there are 'Set column limit' and 'delete' 

I don't know how you'd configure to see done stories.

Ryan Brown
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 29, 2019

I am trying to transition from classic to next-gen and I don't see a way to automatically change the assignee based on a custom "people" field. I see you can update the assignee based on the reporter/current user but not another field. Is this possible in next-gen?

Winfred July 22, 2020

Hi @carolyn french , understood that it is meant to be simple.

Otherwise, it's meant to be very simple, so you won't see the plethora of options that exist for boards in regular scrum/kanban projects.

I would urge Atlassian to reconsider. I very much like the next-gen projects (for both the users and for the project admin), but the lack of board settings mean I can not use a next-gen project. These (now missing) board settings I use all the time:

- have kanban board without sprints

- have multiple boards 

- set JQL filter per board

- custom swimlanes

- quick filters

- card colors

- card layout

Like # people like this
Kamilla April 8, 2021

I very much agree! These two are inevitable to use for my team, so unfortunately I am considering to move back to the old version. 

- set JQL filter per board

- quick filters

3 votes
Vera
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 9, 2020

Hi @carolyn french , I'm looking for how to change settings for types of estimates (from story points to hours). By default I have story points, but I need hours.
Could you please help with it.

1 vote
Philipp Mueller
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 3, 2020

Hello everybody,

am I able to add a "done" column again on a kanban board? We deleted it by accident.

Best regards

Philipp

Philipp Mueller
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 3, 2020

Moreover: isn't it possible to change the type of a column in next gen projects?

Like # people like this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2020

Hi Philipp,

For future reference, it's actually better if you post a new question, so that you will get prompt attention.

Are you able to click on the plus to the right side of the board to add a new column "Done" again? If this doesn't answer your question, then please feel free to post a new question in the next gen category. For your second question, I'm not sure what you mean by type of column.

2020-02-05_1650.png

Ray Obidowski
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 18, 2020

Can we setup quick filters on boards ?  I really liked that

Scott Paden March 27, 2020

This is my question.  Quick filters are appreciated by my team members.  Is this a feature we can use in Next Gen projects?

Like # people like this
James Butler
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 29, 2020

Same issue as Phillip. It appears it isn't possible to assign column type on a next-gen board (whether should be considered as 'in progress' or 'done' or 'not started'). This was possible with old style boards.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Jennifer Fostel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 12, 2019

I am also looking for information on how to configure cards on the board in a next-gen project.

Specifically, I have enabled a "Reviewer" custom field for sub-tasks, but we need to be able to see who the reviewer is while looking at the board for that field to be useful. Is this currently possible, and if not, has it already been requested / is there an issue I could watch?

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 12, 2019

Hi Jennifer, can you post your question as a new one please? You will get more visibility and answers usually. I'm not sure if what you ask can be done.

I took a look for the best issue I could find to relate to what you ask and you found it already too :) https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17336

Best of luck!

Suggest an answer