Board insight feature shows different story points than burndown chart in the report section.

Arvind Soni September 27, 2022

insight sprint.JPGreport burndown chart.JPG

Insight feature of the report shows 54 story points, where as burndown report shows 35 which is correct and what we committed in the sprint. How to rectify this situation, so that we see same value at both places?

3 answers

0 votes
Jack Murphy May 2, 2023

Hi community,

Wondering if anyone has noticed similar:

Our sprint insights show 100% of tickets in progress, but over 50% of tickets in the current sprint have their status as "Done" and are sitting correctly in the "Done" swimlane - so we essentially completely disregard Jira insights but it would be useful to have it showing correct information.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jack

0 votes
Alex Hoogendoorn March 21, 2023

Hi, I noticed a similar thing. See screenshot below.

Sorry not an answer, but a comment.

Our team has completed 50% of the points (this corresponds to the sprint burndown graph, too), but the burndown in the insights shows around 60% still to do (i.e. ~40% done).

We don't estimate on subtasks, so that shouldn't interfere.

Does someone know what may be happening here?

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 2.01.21 PM.png

Cheers

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2023

Hi @Alex Hoogendoorn 

Have you looked at the sprint report to learn if there were either any scope changes (i.e., issues) or edits to the story points of the issues in the sprint?

I ask because I noted in the documentation (under those question mark icons) that the burndown uses what Atlassian calls the "committed" value at the start of the sprint, and the sprint progress seems to use the totals...regardless of when they were added/removed from the sprint.

Kind regards,
Bill

Alex Hoogendoorn March 22, 2023

Thanks @Bill Sheboy That's probably what happened. Still it's inconsistent showing 50% in the progress, 47 done and 47 to go, and ~60% in the graph.

Cheers,
Alex

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2023

Yup, I agree.  Those insights are meant to be fast and helpful, so showing disparate information no doubt may confuse customers at first glance.

Alex Hoogendoorn May 2, 2023

I did find out what is happening here. The progress percentages, burndown report, and the burndown graph in the insights are all correct (of course). They just show the same information differently. Here's a summary. Please correct me if I'm wrong :-).

• The burndown report shows the number of story points you still need to complete.
  • The percentages are based on the story points and the are calculated as percentages of the total number of points in the sprint - at a point in time (i.e. now).
  • The burndown graph in the insights on the sprint board gives you the percentage of story points you need to complete compared to the initial number of points in the sprint.

The percentages in the progress bar and the burndown graph are not the same because they are calculated of a different base metric (total number of story points currently in the sprint vs the number of point at the start of the sprint.

I hope this make things a bit clearer and that it helps people to understand these metrics a bit better.

Have a look at this sprint (likely breaking a whole raft of 'rules' :-))

Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 3.44.50 PM.png

Cheers,
Alex

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2022

Have you put story points on sub-tasks?

Arvind Soni September 27, 2022

Yes. Is that the reason, why I'm seeing different values? To complete stories, there are 2 teams involved and there are tasks which need to be completed to achieve whole feature which we desire.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2022

It probably is, because you should not put sprint estimates on sub-tasks (they are not sprint items).  I suspect the report is double-counting them, and if you add up the story points on just the sub-tasks, you will find they come to 19.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events