Board: filter component does not work

jagercode November 4, 2020

We have currently 2 Kanban boars in our Jira Project (server). The idea is to show the issues of one component on the first and all others on the second.

The query for the first board is: "project = P1 AND component = X ORDER BY Rank ASC" and works as intended.

The query for the second board is unsurprisingly: "project = P1 AND component != X ORDER BY Rank ASC" and this has unexpected results: ONLY issues that have a component show up.

Most of the issues don't have a component and they don't show up on the second board.

In my opinion "(none)" != "X" and therefore all "component: None" should show up.

Anyone a suggestion how to mend or work around this?

(I know one workaround already and that is some manual labour to set a dummy component for all component-less issue but I don't consider that an answer.)

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2020

Ok you can try this, depending on your Server version it might not work : 

project = P1 AND component in (EMPTY, Component Z, Component R)

Just replace the Component Z, Component R by all the components you have in the project. It might be a long JQL query but if you don't have many new components often it could work.

This solution might work too :

project = P1 AND component != X OR component is EMPTY

Tell us if it worked. ;)

jagercode November 4, 2020

Yes, it worked with a minor change.

Only thing I had to add were parentheses around the "OR" part, otherwise it adds all EMPTY components from all projects. ;-)

Query: "project = P1 AND ( component != X OR  component is EMPTY ) ORDER BY Rank ASC"

Note, I found that I can use both "... is EMPTY" and "... = EMPTY". Is there no difference between them? 

Thanks a lot for the prompt answer. :D

Like Flavien Gache likes this

Suggest an answer