Bitbucket issue export unsuitable for Jira import?

Stephen Shorrock July 4, 2018

Hi,

Would I be correct in thinking that the file produced by the bitbucket export tool (cloud0 is unsuitable to be uploaded into Jira as is.

firstly the field names in the issues need to be transcribed:

title -> summary

kind -> issuetype

content -> description

Next each comment in the comments array need to be manually transferred to the referencing issue.

How do we upload the attachments and reference this information?

Is there a tool out there to take the zip file produced by bitbucket (cloud) and transcribe the contents to produce a valid JSON file for a Jira import?

Thanks in advance

Stephen

5 answers

1 vote
Mario August 16, 2019

Unfortunately there is no solution to this issue at all.

The .JSON export from bitbucket works, the import to Jira does not. 

The option to import issues from bitbucket is not available under "external system import". 

Using Jira Cloud and Bitbucket Cloud. 

The export/import is really complicated. Even the self-created .JSON files do not work. 

After spending hours and days reading arctiles in atlassian's community, I really need assistance.

1 vote
Myles Bienek July 13, 2018

Hi,

I've made a start to a script that might help you: https://bitbucket.org/mbienek1/bitbucket_to_jira/src/master/

Let me know how you get on.

Pull requests welcome.

Stephen Shorrock July 13, 2018

Thanks Myles,

Looks very useful I'll give it a go.

S

Stephen Shorrock July 17, 2018

Myles,

I forked your repository and made some minor tweaks so that if issues are exported from bitbucket and extracted into directory accessible via a URL a Jira import File can be produced by running the bitbucket-pipeline.

Hope that you are able to merge / or give me permissions to do so.

Thanks again

Stephen

1 vote
Caterina Curti
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 12, 2018

Hi @Stephen Shorrock,

You can import Bitbucket.org issues directly from the Jira interface without any need to perform an export and import.

Here are the steps:

- Choose the cog icon > System. 
-  In the External System Import section, select Bitbucket.
- Complete the fields as prompted in the wizard. Depending on how your sites are configured, you might be redirected to Bitbucket in order to set the authorization needed to export data.

Cheers,

Caterina - Atlassian

Stephen Shorrock July 12, 2018

Thanks Caterina,

Unfortunately I'm stuck at the second direction.

I can follow the cog icon ->__System__ (from the main Jira admin page)

But there is no option in the '__Import and Export__' section  '__Bitbucket__'

only:

- Backup Manager

- External system Import

- Restore Backup

Following the External System Import option provides the ability to upload JSON (as exported from Bitbucket; but not quite ;-))

Caterina Curti
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 12, 2018

Hi @Stephen Shorrock,

You are right that the option is called "External System Import" (I updated the reply above).

Which version of Jira is currently installed?

At which stage do you get the option to upload the JSON?

In my test everything is managed via the user interface.

This is where I'm asked which fields I want to map:

comm1.png

And here how to map the available values:

comm2.png

Is there a screenshot that you could share of the JSON import option?

Stephen Shorrock July 13, 2018

Hi Caterina,

Thanks for you reply, it doesn't appear to give the options you have in your screen shot. It just attempts to upload the file then fails :-(

import_screen.PNG

Then:

import_screen_2.PNG

Finally:

import_screen_3.PNG

Caterina Curti
Atlassian Team
July 13, 2018

Hi @Stephen Shorrock,

Are you using Jira Cloud (hosted by Atlassian) or Server (hosted by your company)?

I think it may be Jira Cloud, which would explain why the import option is not available. The Bitbucket options is only available for Jira Cloud.

As described by Ana in this reply:

If you're using Jira Cloud then the only option available is to use the JSON importer, as explained at  Importing data from Bitbucket. Note that you won't be able to import the issues into an existing project, you'll need to create a new one. 

This is the original option you were looking for and you can find some options to address the conversion issues in the JRACLOUD-67311 - Ability to Import Bitbucket Issues into JIRA in JSON ticket as part of the workaround section.

Let us know if this helps.

0 votes
Dario B
Atlassian Team
February 28, 2020

UPDATE: 

JRACLOUD-67311 - Ability to Import Bitbucket Issues into JIRA in JSON has been fixed.

Please try to export/import again and let us know if it works as expected or if you are still having issues.

Cheers,
Dario

0 votes
Maurits Kelder December 5, 2019

Same here, for hours I've tried many suggestions to export bitbucket issues and import them in Jira to use them in a scrum project. Even the suggestions of the 'official' Atlassian way do not work, and the External System Import replied after an error that  there is an detailed log for download, unfortunately empty.

Atlassian, we developers / users are not complaining without a reason. Our company invested a lot of time registering issues / bugs, this valuable info for us to drive our software development.

Atlassian, please help us all out, offer / publish a workaround, or better, FIX THIS!

Suggest an answer