[BigPicture] Synchronize parent issue

Tomasz Bryła March 23, 2018

Hi,

I have Program in BigPicture where I scope issues by label. The problem is that BigPicture does not show the main task but only the subtask that has this particular label. Which is normal because the main task does not have this label. Unfortunately, this is a big problem for users, because they do not know what task this subtask is created for. Is it possible to display the parent task despite the lack of an assigned label?

3 answers

1 vote
Tomasz Bryła March 28, 2018

I solved this problem using the JQL query:
labels != MYLABEL AND issueFunction in parentsOf("labels = 'MYLABEL") OR labels = KOM

Thanks for help. 

1 vote
Ericka Samuels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2018

you could also ask Piotrek if Softwareplant can make the Labels field available to be added to your Perspective. (she said sneakily) ;-)

OR you can put some text in the Summary of the Sub Task that describes its parent.

I'm curious, why are you using Labels like this?

Tomasz Bryła March 25, 2018

I have already checked the column display with the label in the Gantt chart. But this does not solve the behavior of the tree structure in a separate graph where issues are filtered by the label.
I will try to solve this with the JQL filter.
The way of using such labels was shown by the previous administrator to employees of one of the departments. 

Piotrek Romanczyk [SoftwarePlant]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 28, 2018

@Ericka Samuels

I see what you did there Ericka! ;D 

Label field perspective? Hmm... That is something to consider. Will let our devs know and see what are the chances.

@Tomasz Bryła  

We will also go through this particular problem, as it seems to be a limitations considering certain use-cases . Can't promise anything - at least for now, but we are constantly improving our integration with Jira in terms of labeling therefore, I trust the feature that regulates this is just a matter of time.

Cheers,

Piotr

0 votes
Piotrek Romanczyk [SoftwarePlant]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 23, 2018

Hello there Tomasz,

As BigPicture's Scope is purely defined with JQL filters, you may pretty much pull and display any individual issue which is present in Jira, on the grid / chart in the majority of BP modules. 

In this case I would suggest pulling such Jira Parent Tasks individually or also label all parent tasks, and then pull them with and additional JQL condition. This is the most straightforward and accurate way of pulling any groups of task to our Program (portfolio).

Please bear in mind though, that relationship between Jira Tasks and Sub-Tasks as a concept and a pre-defined structure will not be reflected on the Gantt module's WBS (and Gantt chart) unless a proper Hierarchy is set in the Program which Scope we are configuring. This is due to the fact that our Programs (Portfolios) are capable of displaying any Jira issue and majority of non-issue entities in the form of a 'task'. Therefore, we can pretty much simulate a parent-child relationships on the waterfall model (Gantt Module).

In order to learn more about the BigPicture's Scope configuration, I would highly recommend to check our Program Configuration Documentation and our YouTube Channel for additional setup guides.  

Best Regards,

Piotrek of SoftwarePlant

Suggest an answer