Big picture - using JIRA to replace existing browser-based application

John Chase January 8, 2018

I'm a developer for an existing browser-based application hosted on a private network. It's written in C#/ASP.NET with SQL Server on the backend. Management wants to basically rewrite using Angular (or some JavaScript framework) as the frontend and JIRA as the backend. The existing system manages requests for work to be done on computer assets, tracking many aspects of that work as it's done, and then reporting results in a specified format back to the original requester. The paradigm is that JIRA tasks/issues will be the requests and JIRA subtasks will be the computer assets associated with the request.

I've used JIRA before to manage issues related to a software project, what it was designed to do, but did not know it could be used in this capacity. My question is then, is there anyone out there who is doing this—using JIRA Core to basically replace an existing application's backend? The existing system is fairly complex and tracks many attributes for both "requests" and "assets" that are not part of JIRA "tasks" and "subtasks" out of the box.

Thoughts? Resources on extending/customizing data in JIRA? Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2018

Although I think what you are looking after is theoretically possible, have you looked into building this using existing Jira apps and customizing Jira with Groovy scripts?

Have you e.g. made your research on Insight, the asset management app?

John Chase January 8, 2018

No, I haven't. And those are the sorts of ideas I'm looking for. Thanks.

Suggest an answer