Best way to use both Kanban and Scrum for same project

yzhu January 26, 2016

Hi,

For my project, I would like to use Kanban to track product/feature progress at a high level view, and use scrum to plan out the iterations for each team member.

For example, let's say we have an art asset, on the product view (kanban board), needs to go from concept -> art -> integration -> done. In the scrum board, I would like to do detailed planning on who is doing which part and in what iteration.

My question is:

• I think we'll have to create separate issues for the 2 boards, on the kanban board it'll be something like "Feature X", and in the scrum board "Create concept for Feature X" and assigned to team member and sprint. Is this the correct way? 
  • What's the best way to filter the issues so they only show up in the appropriate board. Should I just use custom values in "Label" field? Or is there a better way?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2016

You've got a few ways to handle this, I'm not sure how you landed  on a two-board answer.

It sounds to me like your "Features" are simply Epics.  You break them down into Stories for scrum (i.e. "Create concept for feature X" is a story.  You could also think about having different types of story).

However, you've also described a workflow of concept -> art -> integration -> done.  But then suggested "concept" is a story.  I think you need to have a think about the overall processes and map them clearly into types of work and the workflows for each type.

yzhu January 27, 2016

Putting Epics (that includes sub issues which are managed on the scrum board) on the kanban board sounds like it could work for us. Thanks for the suggestion.

Suggest an answer