Best way to migrate from HP ALM to JIRA

Prathiba narani reddy April 10, 2017

Hi,

We are planning on bulk migration of multiple projects from HP ALM to JIRA. Would like to know if there are any ways to migrate the below data from ALM to JIRA:

Requirements

Testcases(along with test execution status)

Defects

Linkage between the entities

Attachments

Have anyone worked on such migration before, if so can you share the best way/process steps to do the same.

4 answers

1 vote
M R Shafiquddin Ahmed August 22, 2019

I have been able to achieve this by creating 2 things one is created unified dashboard using APIs across all test tools; second thing is to migrate all test cases, defects and requirements from different test management tools to jira (zephyr and then to X-ray)

Aarti Gautam Singh January 2, 2020

can you please your first approach . i am also trying to integrate HPALM with JIRa using API but no luck.

M R Shafiquddin Ahmed January 3, 2020

Sorry didn’t get your ask. How can I help you?

Aarti Rajput January 6, 2020

Thanks for reply Ahmed. I also need to integrate JIRA with HPALM. but client does not want to use any tools for same. they want it should be integrated with API. You integrated it right . can you pls help me.

Praveena Tanikella February 19, 2020

We are in the process of migrating from ALM to Xray. We would like to move Requirements, Tests and Defects along with the linkages. M R Shafiquddin, would you please ellaborate on your approach? Were you succesful in bringing over the linkages between the entities?

0 votes
Marcel Nick July 12, 2017

Hi Prathiba ,

We offer a JIRA Cloud Plugin which allows co-relation of data between different test tools for analysis and reporting.

So you could have all your testing happening in HP ALM while defects continued to be reported in JIRA. You can continue to use use your favourite test tools  and have JIRA as a Defect/Story tracking tool.

Cheers

Marcel

Ash
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2017

Is this only for reporting or we can pull data into Jira?.

Thanks,

Ash.

Marcel Nick July 13, 2017

Yes Ashish. Use case is for reporting across test tools.  It's currently not possible to sync between tools using the plugin

0 votes
Ash
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2017

We are in same situation  we are moving from ALM to JIRA server we are using Xray plugin for Test management still we are in testing phase hope we will find a answer, These likns may be helpfull to you.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-questions/ Migration-from-HP-ALM-to-Jira/qaq-p/462162

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDu434Jt0yA

mohan reddy June 5, 2017

Hi Ashish,

Have you migrated the data from HP ALM to Jira Xray Test Plan data? If yes,Can you let me know how you did.Even we are planning to do.Please replay me or send me to the following emain id : mohanreddy.alm@gmail.com

Regards

Mohan 

Ash
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2017

Sure Mohan.

Sudheer Naik June 27, 2018

Hey Ash/Mohan,

Do we have the solution for the same? Were you able to migrate the data from HP ALM to JIRA (Xray)? 

M Amine
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2019

@Ash the youtube link is private and not accessible. Can you make it public? 

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2017

We have done a few for various clients from HP QC and ALM (along with countless other issue trackers.)  If you're going in to native JIRA, you can get most of what you are looking for by using the CSV import method.  There are some things, like creating issue links, that can not currently be done with a CSV, though.  We typically use the REST API for that stuff.  Many test case management systems, such as Zephyr can import legacy test data too, in case you're thinking about going that route.  These type of migrations are pretty tedious, but the CSV importer works well.  The biggest thing that you will lose is the individual issue history. You can set things like the date that the issue was originally opened in HP ALM, but there is no way to set the date of a comment, for example, via CSV import.

Prathiba narani reddy April 11, 2017

Thanks Dave. You are right, we tried the CSV Import for Requirements and defects and Zephyr Import Utility for Tests, but were not able to carry forward the history and attachments. Is there any way to get the attachments into JIRA if not the history. Atleast that should help for now.

Is there a way to do these migration using the REST API. Any pointers on that will also be of great help.

Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2017

You can check out this article to see what the formatting looks like for the CSV. Essentially, you need to harvest the attachments and put them in some kind of structure where you can identify which attachment(s) go with each issue. Then you create a CSV that has une URL per column, per the above doc, for the attachments. You will need a column for the JIRA issue key and also the Summary (note: the summary will be changed if you don't use the "real" summary.) You can either merge the attachment CSV data with your issue field data or do two CSV imports. Doing 2 is probably easier. I hope that helps!

M Amine
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2019

Adding my 2 cents, as we are in 2019. Importing linked issues works with the CSV importer without any problem. Here is the link in Atlassian documentation.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer