Best way to implement our business process in Jira

Anthony Magenot October 6, 2017

Hi all, 

I am new to Jira but learning quickly and I just need to understand how the platform works with regards to reporting and so forth.

Our current process is to have 'Investigate' tickets during a Sprint, during this time we will research the issue or feature for a future Sprint where development and configuration will occur.

What I am curious is how to categorize these tickets. Historically, two separate issues were created, however, all the comments from the Investigate issue are in a different item.

If we keep the same issue open and just change the title but drag it from lets say Sprint 1 to Sprint 2 for development, would this look bad from a reporting standpoint? Like something wasn't completed but instead it was re-opened in Sprint 2?

I also looked at creating a sub-task as well but the same issue will occur where the parent and sub-task will be part of not one, but two Sprints.

Trying to understand how this would look in a reporting perspective and what would be the best way to implement (Continue having two tickets, Refactor the existing 1 ticket, or create a parent and sub-task).

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2017

@Anthony Magenot, Assuming that not all of your investigative tickets make it to development tickets, it may be best to keep them separate.  This will keep all your sprint and release reports clean.  What you could do is create a custom issue link that is specific to this scenario and more descriptive than the default ones.  

Anthony Magenot October 10, 2017

Thank you Peter, I think that is what we may end up doing and will test it out this Sprint and see how it works! Much appreciated.

Suggest an answer