Best practice on tracking development and QA

Ming Lee December 31, 2015

Hi,

I am using JIRA Scrum.  I would like to use JIRA to track my SDLC, request, design, development, and QA.  I would also like to track time for each stage.  We are currently using sprint for development, which I can use estimation and burn down report to track velocity.  How do I apply to the other phases? 

Proposal 1:  Create separate issues and separate project, hence separate sprint for each phase

Proposal 2:  Keep 1 issue and one sprint.  But is there an easy to do so, and still able to measure velocity for each phase?  

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2016

There is an option in JIRA that all the logged time in the Sub-Task will sum up to the parent issue. You can use that feature. 

Ming Lee January 3, 2016

I have seen a lot of people just create sub-task for Dev and QA.  If so, I know Jira's time tracking issue only works on the issue level, is there a way to track time / velocity for each sub-task?  How is sub-task different than just create a new issue (new issue for QA and new issue for DEV)? 

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2016

Yes, as I have answered, the hours can be summed up to the parent issue. Whether you use sub-task or create a new issue will depend entirely on the setup that you like or need.

Suggest an answer