Best options/apps to resource planning and project management when using jira for issue tracking?

Jakob Buus Petersen June 28, 2019

We are a small company (5 engineers and 5 software developers). We have used Jira for four years now. Our company is involved in different projects (one is 3 years) and at the same time have to deal with client requests (issues and smaller developments).

For planning purposes, (because we have grown, I used to have it all in my head, getting too old), we now need to be able to combine our projects, our web service support and maintenance and issues in one platform. It is natural to look at Jira for that since we have been using it for some time for issue tracking.

However, Jjira does not seem to provide a proper way to do resource planning, we need to be able to plan when and on which tasks the different employees will work.  Further, it does not seem to be a natural platform for hour registration which is why we are using a product called Teamwork for project management and hour registration. Teamwork is a product well suited for project planning, documentation but Teamwork does not include the resource planning features either. So, we need to evolve from this set-up.

I looked on the web and found many people talking about the same issue but mostly in older threats 2013-2016. 

Is  that because a solution is out there and I simply missed it?

Is there another product which may fulfill some of the things Jira does but solves the planning and project management issue? (My point is, Jira can do a million things which we do not need)

Suggestions are appreciated.

Best regards

Jakob Buus Petersen 

3 answers

4 votes
Oleh Vasyliv June 28, 2019

Hi @Jakob Buus Petersen,

Based on the requirements you mentioned, you may take a look at our "Activity Timeline" add-on for Jira.

It includes resource planning, personal workplace for each individual to see the schedule and log work, team timesheets and reports in a single add-on.

You can check it out at https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1210888/activity-timeline-resource-planning

Thanks!

Craig Scott January 11, 2021

Hi @Oleh Vasyliv  - Does Activity Timeline have any add in for outlook? this could be used to pull the calendar entries from outlook into activity timeline so that i can combine with Jira tickets to get a holistic view of our engineers day

Oleh Vasyliv January 12, 2021

Hi @Craig Scott 

As of today, ActivityTimeline supports only exporting of the planned entities from the app into outlook. 

The export of the schedule can be configured per person or per team (e.g. export the issues/events of the whole team into a single outlook calendar).

We are evaluating the possibility of adding import of events from a calendar app like outlook/google calendar into ActivityTimeline app (there is no ETA yet).

Thanks,

Oleh

0 votes
Jakob Buus Petersen June 28, 2019

Thnks RAvi, I will for sure check Tempo Planner and Portefolio.

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2019

Hi @Jakob Buus Petersen 

"we need to be able to plan when and on which tasks the different employees will work"

Did you look at Tempo Planner, it can potentially help in your case and also Tempo Timesheets for timesheets of course. Apart from the due date of an issue that is assigned to someone, using tempo you can specify that a developer should be working on a specific task (issues in Jira) on a specific day for x number of hours. You can do capacity planning as well.

For doing a bit more you can also try Portfolio. It has features to help you build a roadmap and scenarios.

Ravi

Suggest an answer