Best Template to use?

Andrew Yoo January 14, 2020

Hello, 

I was curious on which template was the best to use. I need to have the following functions

1. ability to create epics

2. ability to look at a calendar and see what is due at what time

The main things that need to be completed are not software based, but rather task-(operation) based. Will involve a lot of reassigning etc. 

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2020

Hi Andrew and welcome to the Community. Most templates would work here since really neither are 'template factors'. Let me try to explain. Epic is an issuetype and even if the template you choose doesn't immediately show Epic as an issuetype it is easy to add. Further, while epics are more traditionally associated with software projects they work quite well in business projects too. The only place I have not used an Epic is in a service desk project. Now for the calendar, OOTB the only option you have is to add a Calendar gadget on a dashboard but I think it will work well for you depending on what you are looking for. There are also I believe some good addon options you could consider if needed but likely won't be required at least initially.

Now what will drive your choice of template is more along the lines of what your team is doing, e.g. software development or business process. The cloud templates change frequently, at least in the past and I haven't created a new one recently. If you have one or two you are considering let me know more about your use case and I can give you my opinion.

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 14, 2020

For completeness, I add that you can always start with a simple Kanban Next-gen template. It will be perfect for a simple todo-list type project, give you the capabilities you are after and leave the door open for further feature toggling you might consider in the future 😄

Suggest an answer