Best Practices for Projects for internal support

Lianna DeVries February 10, 2021

In our jira environment, we have a project per application or major technical component (about 10 projects). Our major projects (about three of them) handle 50% development related tasks for the DB or Web teams. For the development tasks we work in agile groups to build new functionality. The other 50% of the tickets are  what we call internal support tasks... this could be 1. user support, 2. create some specific for one customer 3. fix something that broke. These items are one-off tasks that usually require one developer at a time. 

I am looking for best practices for these internal support type tasks. Should they be in there own project? What field would we use to distinguish them if we keep them in the same project? Issue Type? Suggestions on boards or flows. Anything would help. When I look online, all the suggestions point towards the Help Desk. I'm not sure if that's what we need because most of these requests are not coming from external customers.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
João Teixeira February 10, 2021

You can create a new specific project with 3 types of items: Support, QuickDev and Fixes. I think is import to separate the development team from the "incident team". Scrum cherishes for protect the teams from external interventions.

If one of these incidents needs the intervention of the 50% responsable for Development you can "Move" or "Clone" the issue to the other projetcs and priorize them in the backlog.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events