Basic understanding of customizing View Screens

Hannes September 28, 2019

Hi everybody,

I have a basic question regarding Screens. Maybe you can help here :)

I have added the field fixversion and affectedversion to all Screens used in my project. They appear in the Create Screen and in the Edit Screen and the order of the fields is correctly. But with the ‚View‘ I have some problems: I have added the fields to the View Screen, but they do not appear.

When I edit the screens I have only one tab, so all fields are displayed in a list. When I use the create or the edit action, I have a corresponding list of all this fields. It matches 1:1 to the screen scheme. But when I look on a Task (View) there I have two columns and different sections. In the View screen I even configured a long list of fields, but some oft hem are missing and the order is not the same. So how can I configure the View screen to display these fields? How can I arrange fields in the View in general?

Thanks for your advice!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2019

Hi @Hannes

I tested this - two different things to consider here.

Most custom fields do not show up on Cloud's view unless populated, including tabs. So for example, if you had a custom field "XYZ" - it would be hidden until it has a value other than NULL. If you want it to show on the screen as default, you'll need a default value.

There are however a list of standard fields which show even when blank - including Affected Versions and FixVersions.

To ensure these show when blank - make sure you have created at least one Version in that project. Once there is one, these should then show. Same goes for the Components field. To create a Version:

• Go to Project Settings > Versions
  • Press Create Version

Ste

Hannes September 30, 2019

Hi Ste,

thanks for your explanation! This helps to understand the view screen. 

But sorry to ask a second question: So there's no possibility to rearrange the fields in the View screen?

Best,

Hannes

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2019

Hi @Hannes

There are some default field positions which don't move around as much - at least in the classic view.

There is a little more fluidity in the new issue view - which you can read about here. There are still some fields yet to be visualised in this view though.

Aside from that, custom fields should show up on the classic view based on their order on your screen schemes. But they'll only show up if populated.

Ste

Suggest an answer