Base URL Update Fails

I am a JIRA admin on a system running JIRA 7.3.0 and attempted to update the base URL, by going to Admin -> System -> General Config -> Base URL, then updating with a new value which is not taking affect. 

I see the expected URL when running the query 

select propertyvalue from propertyentry PE
join propertystring PS on PE.id=PS.id
where PE.property_key = 'jira.baseurl';

I am seeing multiple broken image URLs and on the home page I am getting the message at the bottom of the screen saying

"Dashboard Diagnostics: Mismatched URL Hostname
JIRA is reporting that it is running on the hostname 'jira.qa.bar.com', which does not match the hostname used to run these diagnostics, 'jira-qa.foo.com'. This is known to cause JIRA to construct URLs using the incorrect hostname, which will result in errors in the dashboard, among other issues."

JIRA has been reindexed and restarted just to see if there is a gremlin in the works. What am I missing here. 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Accepted answer

Figured it out shortly after asking the question. We have JIRA set to run SSL so I had additional values to update in my <install-dir>/jira/conf/server.xml file as per https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/integrating-jira-with-apache-using-ssl-861253896.html

Once I updated the URL in this file to match my new URL, and restarted, I had a case of angels singing, unicorns, and rainbows. 

Thanks for updating to include the answer, Casey!

0 votes
Ann Worley Atlassian Team May 22, 2017

Please make sure the name can be resolved for the URL being used for the Base URL. To be resolved to an IP address, it needs to be in the local hosts file or else in your company's DNS. Please see:

HostName Mismatch: UrlHostnameMismatchException

If you are using a proxy, make sure proxyName and proxyPort are in the server.xml connector directive as in Dashboard Diagnostics: Mismatched URL Scheme.

Ann Worley Atlassian Team May 22, 2017

Oh, derp, I answered while you were updating us.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,725 views 17 21
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you