Base URL Update Fails

Casey Daniell May 22, 2017

I am a JIRA admin on a system running JIRA 7.3.0 and attempted to update the base URL, by going to Admin -> System -> General Config -> Base URL, then updating with a new value which is not taking affect. 

I see the expected URL when running the query 

select propertyvalue from propertyentry PE
join propertystring PS on PE.id=PS.id
where PE.property_key = 'jira.baseurl';

I am seeing multiple broken image URLs and on the home page I am getting the message at the bottom of the screen saying

"Dashboard Diagnostics: Mismatched URL Hostname
JIRA is reporting that it is running on the hostname 'jira.qa.bar.com', which does not match the hostname used to run these diagnostics, 'jira-qa.foo.com'. This is known to cause JIRA to construct URLs using the incorrect hostname, which will result in errors in the dashboard, among other issues."

JIRA has been reindexed and restarted just to see if there is a gremlin in the works. What am I missing here. 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Casey Daniell May 22, 2017

Figured it out shortly after asking the question. We have JIRA set to run SSL so I had additional values to update in my <install-dir>/jira/conf/server.xml file as per https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/integrating-jira-with-apache-using-ssl-861253896.html

Once I updated the URL in this file to match my new URL, and restarted, I had a case of angels singing, unicorns, and rainbows. 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
May 22, 2017

Thanks for updating to include the answer, Casey!

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 22, 2017

Please make sure the name can be resolved for the URL being used for the Base URL. To be resolved to an IP address, it needs to be in the local hosts file or else in your company's DNS. Please see:

HostName Mismatch: UrlHostnameMismatchException

If you are using a proxy, make sure proxyName and proxyPort are in the server.xml connector directive as in Dashboard Diagnostics: Mismatched URL Scheme.

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 22, 2017

Oh, derp, I answered while you were updating us.

Suggest an answer