Azure SQL Database 2014 not supported JIRA Software Server

prasenna.kannan October 7, 2020

Team,

We have installed JIRA Software Server 8.12.2 and in the instance health, I'm getting an alert that, the database server version is not supported - SQL Server 2014.

We have created database from Azure SQL. Do we have any timeline from JIRA for the database upgrade?

Thanks,

Prasenna

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2020

Atlassian haven't supported SQL Server 2014 for their products for quite a while.

It does, as far as I can tell, work ok for Jira 8.x, but it is unsupported, and you should upgrade it to a supported version as soon as you can.  2016 and 2017 are supported as the databases for Jira 8.12, so I would recommend upgrading to 2017 for a bit more future-proofing.

Thanks!

While installing the JIRA Software Server, I did look into the specification here - https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/supported-platforms-938846830.html

For Azure SQL, there were no details provided and now I'm getting an instance error as unsupported, for PaaS we don't have a control, why the JIRA is prompting for instance health failure?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2020

Ok, so this is going to sound bad or grumpy, but I am trying to avoid a rambling essays:

You have found and read exactly the right documentation that you should.  And you've not just followed it by rote, you have understood it too.

So why have you installed an old and unsupported database at the back end?  Azure can provide supportable databases, is there a good reason to use a "legacy" one?

We have installed Azure SQL PaaS flavour mate and not an IaaS one. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 8, 2020

Yes, and you've used the wrong one.  Why did you ignore the supported versions doc you read?

prasenna.kannan October 8, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- : So, Azure SQL PaaS is not supported?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 8, 2020

Yes, it is, when you use a supported database on it.

Like prasenna.kannan likes this
Deleted user November 24, 2020

SQL in Azure, comes in 3 flavours ... only PaaS is in question referenced by Atlassian documentation:

- SQL Server 20XX on a VM (Infrastructure as a Service, IaaS as the OP mentioned earlier)

- SQL Managed instance, similar to above but MSFT take care of the cluster for you

- SQL Platform as a Service (PaaS) < also referred to as 'Azure SQL'.

I noticed the same issue that OP is seeing when we upgraded from DTU tier to vCore tier. There is of course no change to the version of the SQL and only the performance should be affected.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events