Avoid too many administrators in a JIRA project

Pierangelo Repetti August 31, 2022

Hello,

we are using custom project roles to manage user permissions in projects. The "Administrator" role can- as it says - administer projects.

This gives also the power to assign an Administrator role to other people in the project. 

As a Site Admin, I find a lot of projects have 50-60% of their people with Administrator role. I understand that's a very fast "solution" to bypass permission problems or even doubts, but that's bad in my opinion, from all perspectives: security, accountability, organization.

So my question is: is there a way to limit that ?

I can't do it in Permission Schemes because the "administer project" grant is not granular enough.

I don't see a way to limit the number of users who can have a given role in a project.

Any other way ?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2022

There is no way to configure limits (number) on admins. This must be managed by you site/Org admins.

@Jack Brickeywhat do you mean? Should I assume all project administration tasks instead of delegating to project admins ?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2022

I simply mean that as a site admin you need to limit who is given project admin permissions. Some projects can be handed off to capable users while others cannot. It really comes down to how your organization is structured. Some organizations have one or more site admins managing all projects (except TMP projects). Some organizations allow certain projects to be administered by one of the project's leads. Etc.

OK I understand your point: the distinction between "delegatable projects" and those which aren't would come by means of different permission schemes. I'd still have to accept an "all or nothing" permission to administer, without a finer granularity.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2022

In case you have not review the docs on permissions or for the benefit of others - how-do-jira-permissions-work

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events