Automation to set one field clears another

Kathy Barton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2021

I have 2 rules set up in Automation for Jira:

1. On create, set a specific field, based on a value in the parent, for specific issue types
  2. On create, set a specific field to TRUE for all issue types

When the second rule runs, it clears the value set by the first rule. 

Does anyone know how I can prevent that from happening? I can't find anywhere to specify the order in which the rules run. 

UPDATE: I tried combining these into one rule but the result is the same.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2021

Hi @Kathy Barton 

You are most likely running into timing/race-track conditions for your rules.  The created issue trigger seems very susceptible to this condition...at this time.

You could try this to work-around the issue, combining to use one rule.

• Trigger: issue created
  • Action: re-fetch (to fully re-load the issue as it may not be ready at trigger time)
  • Action: edit issue to set your field for ALL issue types (from your rule 2)
  • Action: re-fetch to reload the results
  • Condition: to check for the issue types to update (from your rule 1)
  • Action: edit issue to update values from the parent

Best regards,

Bill

Kathy Barton
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2021

@[deleted] Thanks, I suspected that was the problem but I wasn't sure how to address it. I wasn't aware of the "refetch" action. I will give that a try! 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Kathy Barton
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2021

@[deleted] that worked like a charm, thanks!!!!! 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2021

Awesome!  I am glad that helped you.

Like Kathy Barton likes this

Suggest an answer