Automation to overwrite a field

Áron April 7, 2021

Hi All,

I would like this automation to overwrite the FixVersion field on an issue based on a cloned issue's FixVersion, but for some reason, if the destination issue already has a FixVersion it doesn't overwrite it. What am I missing here?

fixversion.JPG

Then: Edit issue...

fixversion2.JPG

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2021

Hi @Áron ,

would you please share us screenshot with the configuration of Edit issue fields action detail?

Thank you!

Áron April 7, 2021

Hi Hana, Sorry i forgot to attach the screenshot for that. Edited. Thank you

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2021

Thank you. Actually it looks good, I believe this should work. I will test it using my instance and let you know. Maybe we will need to use additional fields...

Like Áron likes this
Áron April 7, 2021

Thank you! It actually runs with "Success" but for some reason if I change a FixVersion on the trigger issue and run the rule again it doesn't overwrite it on the destination issue. :S

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2021

Hi @Áron 

Would you please post an image of the audit log from a rule execution that should have worked?  That may provide some insights.  Thanks!

Best regards,

Bill

Like Áron likes this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 7, 2021

I've just tested it with manual trigger and it works for me.

Hopefully image of the audit log would help us determine, what's going on.

Like # people like this
Áron April 7, 2021

Hi @Bill Sheboy

fixversion3.JPG

What seems odd is that the rule couldn't find related issues (every WPEMEA ticket gets cloned to open a PM ticket - hence all of them has relations (clones / cloned by))

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2021

Ah... I see some things of note:

Please note the scheduled issues returned (in the PM project) and the branch on linked issues returned (in at least the WPEMEA project).  Is this a project-level or a global/multi-project rule?  If it is project level this will only process items within the scope of the project where it runs.  What is your intent of issues to update: project or instance scope?

And...if this is multi-project, the versions are specific to a project.  So you would need to confirm their existence in the target project in order to assign the values (duplicate version names but different instances by project).  I wonder why that doesn't show as an error in rule execution...

And...note how the schedule returns more than 100 issues?  I believe rule execution is limited to 100 issues from a JQL, branch, LookupIssues, etc.  If you expect more than 100 issues you may need more criteria to limit the result set (with JQL)...which could require multiple similar rules.

Like Hana Kučerová likes this

Suggest an answer