Automation rule to update FixVersion start date based on earliest issue start date

Ben Birnbaum June 10, 2022

I would like to create an automation rule that:

1. Triggers when a version is released
  2. Looks at all issues of a certain type within a FixVersion
  3. Finds the earliest start date amongst the related issues (when first moved to In Progress status category)
  4. And updates the version start date with the earliest date found for the issues

I know it's possible to build, likely in numerous ways. Just not sure of the right logic and JQL to use. TIA

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2022

Hi @Ben Birnbaum,

As of today, Automation for Jira does not support updates to an existing Version. The only actions available are these:

Screenshot 2022-06-11 at 10.58.43.png

I am not sure why the exact version start date is that important to you? Even moving an issue to an in progress category does not mean any code has been written or anything has been delivered?

Still, you could use automation to surface the start date you're after on your issues. Every time an issue is transitioned to its first in progress status, you could set the current date in a custom field start date. Then, use a JQL filter to retrieve all issues in your release, order them by start date and manually update the start date of the version.

Or, even easier: as soon as your team starts working on a release, update its start date manually.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events