Automation overwrite manual assignment

Tianxiao Jiang February 4, 2022

Hi

I have asked my company to add the auto assign feature (automation) to one of my project. The auto assign work on existed JIRA ticket. However when I create a new JIRA ticket, even I manually assign a person, upon ticket created, the automation will overwrite my manual assignment and assign a random person. This causes a lot of confusion to the random assignee in my project since in many cases I know who to assign the ticket. 

Is this expected behavior of JIRA automation ?

2 answers

2 votes
Alex Ortiz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2022

Hi,

I would agree with Pramodh.  You should have your Jira admin double check the automation rule, but here's a screenshot of a rule that I have to automatically assign issues.  Additionally, if you want to troubleshoot, I recommend you check the History of the issue and it should tell you who made the reassignment.  If it's Automation for Jira, then your rule is probably the culprit.  Otherwise, you may have to look elsewhere.  

Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 6.02.12 PM.png

Anna Głowacka March 22, 2023

Hi @Alex Ortiz 

Do you know any trick how to check if Assignee was picked manually?

In my case condition if Assignee is empty is not working. Assignee is never empty and automation reassigns this field after the user will pick a specific assignee :(

2 votes
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2022

@Tianxiao Jiang 

Welcome to the community 🙂

Yeah there is something wrong with the automation

Ask your Jira admin again to reconfigure the automation as - when changing the assignee field it should check whether the assignee field value is already present or empty.

If it's present skip, if it's empty define the rule to assign the ticket 

Pass this message

Let me know if you have any queries

Thanks

Suggest an answer