Automation only showing Config Change

Allison Troup July 6, 2021

Configured an automation rule but audit log is only showing "CONFIG CHANGE" 

The rule is not being triggered even though issues are being created.

Here is a breakdown of the rule itself

Here are the rule details. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Allison Troup July 12, 2021

The problem is that, with Automation, it seems that the default reporter's domain for the mail handler we have set up is blocking all other emails outside of that domain. Luckily this is actually what we needed, so problem solved. :-) 

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2021

Is your initial status Open when a new issue is created? Normally when you create a rule when the issue is created you do not have to check the status as well.

Correct, the initial status goes straight to Open. Even without that component it still didn't work.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2021

Did you start with one of the automations from the library? I just created this rule from scratch and it sent the email once the issue was create:

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 1.29.17 PM.png

I had the exact same thing you did, still is not working :( 

Is there any sort of permissions I should be looking into??

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2021

Instead of the initiator, try using reporter instead and see if that works.

We also tried that, and that didn't work either. Do they need to be a Jira user in order for them to use Automation??

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2021

It depends on your project when you are using smart values (initiator and reporter are smart values).

But the rule should have trigger when an issue is created. Here is what I would try, create a new rule that triggers on issue creation, and then add a comment to the issue and see if that works.

Can the automatic emails be sent to users outside of Jira? And how can I manually run this rule?

I can try the comment.

Thank you so SO much for the help by the way!!!!! 

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2021

Yes, you can type in the email address manually in the to field, just hit enter after and it will add it.

If you want to manually run the rule you would have to use the scheduled trigger, once you have configured it you should see a button that allows you to manually trigger it.

Allison Troup July 7, 2021

It worked when I manually ran it, but won't work when an issue is created like it's supposed to.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2021

Hi @Allison Troup 

Would you please post an image of the audit log for an execution where you think the rule should send an email?  That may provide more context so the community can offer ideas.  Thanks!

Perhaps the rule is triggering and not sending the email due to a timing issue, and so all of the data is not present yet.  This can happen for the issue created trigger, and the work-around is to add another action immediately after the trigger: a Re-fetch.  This will slow down the rule and re-load the issue before processing.

Best regards,
Bill

Hi @Bill Sheboy thanks so much for the reply!! 
This can happen for the issue created trigger, and the work-around is to add another action immediately after the trigger: a Re-fetch. 

I added a webhook to my slack channel. It says it worked but I'm not seeing any emails. I did get the message in my slack channel though. I don't know where it's sending these emails.imageimage

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2021

Thanks!  How about this: change your rule to send the email only to yourself with a known good email address, and retest to see if that works. 

If it does, that narrows this down to possibly invalid email addresses or the receivers consuming/or sending the emails to spam.

If it does not, there is a more general issue with emails not being sent, or a problem with the smart values used in the receiver address.

@Bill Sheboy i put in my work email for the sender, and that worked! i need this to be able to send emails to people outside of jira/without specifying all of the email senders beforehand though.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2021

Great; progress!  Okay, now find a volunteer for your external email address, and add them to the TO, keeping yours there to confirm the email sent:

myAddress; theirAddress

This will confirm it works, and then help you work with the volunteer (receiver) to learn if those emails are getting filtered on the receiving side, or if the address is bad.

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this

When I try sending it to my work and personal email, nothing gets to my personal email. I'm wondering if my personal email filters are just blocking all of these emails. It says it's successful but the personal email isn't getting anything.image.png

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2021

Sounds like a good theory.  Perhaps check your spam folder of the personal account for those emails.

I just disabled all my filters for my personal email and I'm still not receiving anything, even though Jira's audit log says I should be.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2021

Have you tried to send an email directly from your work account to your personal one (outside of Jira)?  That will rule out problems with your personal account receiving emails.

Next, I would delete and re-enter the email address in the TO, confirming there are no typos.

If that doesn't work, I suggest it is time to create a ticket with Atlassian support.  As you are site admin for a paid license, you should be able to do that here: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

In that case, please post back here what you learn so the entire community can benefit.  Thanks!

Like John likes this

The problem is this is for an IT support project, so I'm pretty much just trying to set this up with Jira Software. I need to be able to automate sending emails out to the Initiator of whoever created the issue regardless of whether or not it's in the TO. It works fine when it is specified in the TO, but that isn't feasible or practical for an IT support desk solution. Is there a way to specify email domains in the TO using smart values? 

And thank you so much for your help so far!!! This community rocks. :)

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 7, 2021

The problem with using a JSW project as a IT support project is that the reporter has to have an account in Jira for it to work. You should consider JSM, since it allows unlicensed users to submit requests, and it has a separate customer notification scheme.

And yes, you could use smart values to set the email domain and then combine that with whoever is the initiator to construct the email address. But as @Bill Sheboy mentioned, you may want to contact Atlassian support as well.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

I will ask Atlassian support how to use smart values! Thank you both so so much for your help!!! I will post the solution after!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events