Automation jira data center edit existing comment

j.saceda October 10, 2022

Hi,

I want in some specific moments to edit the last comment. Something very easy.

The new comment, {{issue.comment.last.body}} and something more new

And I can't, I tried several things without any sucess, before with jira cloud that was very easy, but with jira data center I can't.

Can help me anyone?

Thanks

3 answers

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2022

Hi @j.saceda 

With the Server/Data Center version of automation, I do not believe it is possible to edit a comment: https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/jira-automation-actions-993924834.html

That action appears to only be available with the Cloud version of automation rules.

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
j.saceda October 12, 2022

Hi, 
I'm still waiting for an answer

Thanks

Trang Ngoc Nguyen March 1, 2023

Hi! Not sure if this is still relevant but by following the JIRA REST API Documentation I have found a working version as follows:

comment jira automation.PNG

The JSON part in the Edit issues > More options should look like this:

{
"update": {
"comments": [
{
"edit": {
"id": "{{comment.id}}",
"body": "{{comment.body.substringBefore(\"Fra:\")}}"
}
}
]
}
}

Hope that it helps for those that are having the same trouble!

0 votes
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2022

Hi @j.saceda have you checked to see if the edit comments permission is associated to the account you are running the automation against.

Hi @Craig Nodwell 

how can I check that, I'm using the Actor "Jira Automation"Screenshot 2022-10-10 142131.png

I think that here is not the problem, I'm using this actor for a lot of rules more complex

Hi @Craig Nodwell ,

could you do a simple example how to do it? Screenshot 2022-10-10 143022.png

Suggest an answer