Automation help needed: New bug issue moved from another project

Gail June 9, 2022

USE CASE:

• A bug issue type gets moved from project ABC into project XYZ

I know the issue key will change.    How can I write an automation to recognize this issue and transition it to a new status in project XYZ?

I know how to automate the transition -- just not how to write this condition to recognize the moved bug

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2022

Hi @Gail 

When do you want to take this action, such as immediately after the move?

If so, you could use the Issue Moved trigger in the destination project's automation rules.

Kind regards,
Bill

Gail June 10, 2022

Hi Bill.   

You made me think a bit more that as you said I don't need an automation PLUS when you move an issue project to project -- if the status in source differs from status in destination you get prompted to map it.   My goal is to make sure the destination project status is the first status in the workflow (new).

Thanks for the prompt answer!!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2022

Awesome; I am glad you figured out a solution!

What you noted about Move is one of the reasons it is quite tricky to do anything with that action (other than detect it) in an automation rule.  There is just do much good stuff implemented in Jira that could require special handling in a rule: issue type changes, required fields, workflow, custom field incompatibility, parent/child linking, etc.

I hope you have a great day!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events