Automation help - if/else: Is "do nothing" an option when creating automation?

Johnny
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 20, 2024

I am trying to work through creating an automation that would run on all tickets that are created and if a form is submitted for them the automation would ignore that ticket and not run the automation. If a form was not submitted then the automation would go through and adjust designated fields, auto-assign, etc. I have sorted out the field adjustment on other automations so that is not a problem. Only how to execute this automation to run only if a form has not been submitted. 

Background - 90% of jira's are submitted via forms in which there is an automation that transcribes the field data that is input into the form into the ticket and sends a message via slack. The other 10% are created via the create button and do not hit the "When: Forms Submitted" trigger. So my thought is to create a separate automation that would check if a form is submitted if so the automation would not run. If no form has been submitted then it would go through and adjust the fields and send a slack message. 

Is that possible? How can I achieve this?  Picture attached of what I'm currently trying. Not sure how to get the "IF" to "Do Nothing" and not sure what the "ELSE" should be. Any help appreciated. Thanks. Screenshot 2024-05-20 181946.png

1 answer

0 votes
Kalyan Sattaluri
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2024

Hello @Johnny 

Not familiar with Forms but is Forms a field on Jira screen of an issue?

General logic should be:

  • Trigger = Issue created
  • If Condition -> "Forms" is EMPTY
  • Then Edit Issues and next steps.

Cause if the issue was submitted through form, this "Forms" field will have value. If not this field, just look for a field which identifies if an issue was created through forms, and check if that value is empty. 

As mentioned, I havent worked with Jira forms but hope it helps!

Johnny
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 22, 2024

Hi @Kalyan Sattaluri This was helpful! Although I went a little bit different route. I ended up using an "IF/ELSE" with a JQL query. And then made a comment that I make visible on the issue only to admins. From there on the else, I ran the actual actions I needed. Screenshot 2024-05-22 225709.png

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer