Automation for status change

Gabriella Szeltner December 13, 2021

Dear all

I have a certain amount of tasks that are in the far future, and they are all To Do. I only have to work on a few tasks at the same time so I use the In Progress status for those few tasks. I also set a start and  due date for my tasks in the future.

I do not want to miss any deadlines, therefore I would like to use an Automation. Once we reached the Start date, the task is supposed to move automatically into the In Progress status. How can I change a task status automatically according to the start date?

Thank you for you response in advance!

Best regards,

Gabriella 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Marco Brundel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2021

Hi @Gabriella Szeltner ,

This is possible with a Automation rule.
You use Scheduled as Trigger and a Issue fields condition on Field Due date with Condition is after Time of execution and a condition the issue is in Status To Do.
And as action "Transition issue".

Regards, Marco

Gabriella Szeltner December 13, 2021

Hi @Marco Brundel 

Thanks a lot for the quick feedback. I tried with the following:

When: Scheduled - every hours

Start date: is after time of execution

Status equals: To do 

Then: Transition the issue to In Progress. 

However, I get the following error message: 

Error

• The rule has been configured with components that require issues to be provided by the trigger. You need to use the option to run JQL to provide issues. The following components require issues: Issue condition, Transition issue

The start date and the status is set for each task. Do you have idea what is the problem?

Thank you and best regards,

Gabriella

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2021

Hi @Gabriella Szeltner 

Adding to what Marco suggests...

That error is telling you that your rule is accessing issue fields (start date and status) but the scheduled trigger has not supplied any issues.  To fix that, you need JQL to find your issues, such as the following to find the issues planned to start this week.  You could then change the schedule to run once per week.

project = myProjectName
AND statusCategory = "To Do"
AND "Start date[Date]" IS NOT EMPTY
AND "Start date[Date]" >= startOfWeek()
AND "Start date[Date]" <= endOfWeek()

Also, I recommend that you consider sending emails or messages rather than automatically moving the issues into In Progress.  There may be other reasons to explain why the issues have not started work yet.

To learn more about the advanced JQL functions, please look at this documentation:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/use-advanced-search-with-jira-query-language-jql/

Kind regards,
Bill

Like # people like this
Gabriella Szeltner December 14, 2021

Hi @Bill Sheboy 

This solution worked indeed. I am not a big fan of sending mails to be honest. I have a weekly update mail about my ongoing tasks (In Progress status). That's enough for now :) 

Thank you and best regards,

Gabriella

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer