[Automation for jira] Update the parent (& child) issue when labels are updated

Deleted user September 8, 2019

Hi,

there is something i'm missing here; it looks (to me) that i'm doing the right thing but i don't get what's expected;

Use case: when a sub-task OR User Story OR Epic label is updated I want every issue updated:

so:

• CASE A: User updates Sub-task label
    • User Story label updated;
    • Epic label updated.
  • CASE B: User updates User Story label
    • Sub-task label updated;
    • Epic label updated.
  • CASE C: User updates Epic label updated
    • Sub-task label updated;
    • User Story label updated.

Pretty basic stuff i guess but i'm not getting it. Check this

Tnx, Marco

automation-for-jira.png

1 answer

0 votes
Brydie McCoy (CB)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2019

Hi Marco,

This is not as basic as it might seem! The first thing I will check though - is this a Next-Gen project?  Currently, we do not support issue hierarchy in Next-Gen projects as they use a slightly different system. We are waiting on Jira to provide us with an API to use this new system.

If this a normal project I think the issue may be the levels of hierarchy.  The normal usage is Epic -> Stories -> Subtasks.  (Technically you can have subtasks directly on Epics but I don't see that used very often)  Our default branching only looks one level deep.    So you can't directly ask for the subtasks inside an epic. Or, the epic for a subtask.  To work around this you can use the JQL branching instead:

Project automation - Jira 2019-09-09 11-57-18.png

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,
Brydie [Automation for Jira]

Deleted user September 8, 2019

Hi Brydie,

and thanks for your support; first of all the project is a classic one not a Next-Gen one; I'm not an ace at coding so I just did what you suggested but in the Audit Log I get the "SOME ERRORS / NO ACTIONS PERFORMED" alerts as follows;

that happens whenever I try to edit sub-tasks or User Stories labels

screenshot-dos-media.atlassian.net-2019.09.09-07_28_45.png

am I doing something wrong?

Brydie McCoy (CB)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2019

Hi Marco,

It looks like the smart values are not substituting correctly.   Unfortunately, I can't tell from your screenshot why that might be.  Would it be possible for you to raise a support request with us (include your instance URL) and I can dig into what might be going on?

Cheers,
Brydie

Deleted user September 9, 2019

Thanks Brydie,

just sent the support request;

ciao, Marco

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events