It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

[Automation for jira] Update the parent (& child) issue when labels are updated

Hi,

there is something i'm missing here; it looks (to me) that i'm doing the right thing but i don't get what's expected;

Use case: when a sub-task OR User Story OR Epic label is updated I want every issue updated:

so:

• CASE A: User updates Sub-task label
    • User Story label updated;
    • Epic label updated.
  • CASE B: User updates User Story label
    • Sub-task label updated;
    • Epic label updated.
  • CASE C: User updates Epic label updated
    • Sub-task label updated;
    • User Story label updated.

Pretty basic stuff i guess but i'm not getting it. Check this

Tnx, Marco

automation-for-jira.png

1 answer

Hi Marco,

This is not as basic as it might seem! The first thing I will check though - is this a Next-Gen project?  Currently, we do not support issue hierarchy in Next-Gen projects as they use a slightly different system. We are waiting on Jira to provide us with an API to use this new system.

If this a normal project I think the issue may be the levels of hierarchy.  The normal usage is Epic -> Stories -> Subtasks.  (Technically you can have subtasks directly on Epics but I don't see that used very often)  Our default branching only looks one level deep.    So you can't directly ask for the subtasks inside an epic. Or, the epic for a subtask.  To work around this you can use the JQL branching instead:

Project automation - Jira 2019-09-09 11-57-18.png

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,
Brydie [Automation for Jira]

Hi Brydie,

and thanks for your support; first of all the project is a classic one not a Next-Gen one; I'm not an ace at coding so I just did what you suggested but in the Audit Log I get the "SOME ERRORS / NO ACTIONS PERFORMED" alerts as follows;

that happens whenever I try to edit sub-tasks or User Stories labels

screenshot-dos-media.atlassian.net-2019.09.09-07_28_45.png

am I doing something wrong?

Hi Marco,

It looks like the smart values are not substituting correctly.   Unfortunately, I can't tell from your screenshot why that might be.  Would it be possible for you to raise a support request with us (include your instance URL) and I can dig into what might be going on?

Cheers,
Brydie

Thanks Brydie,

just sent the support request;

ciao, Marco

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

302 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you