Automation for Jira workflow transition not updating-ish. Jira problem or Automation problem?

Todd Palermo February 8, 2018

I have created an Automation for Jira (3.9.4) rule to transition an issue when a field value changes that matches a JQL condition. This rule works behind the scenes, but the status does not update visually in the issue unless I refresh the issue or page. I have tried adding a Refresh issue Action at the end of my rule, but that still doesn't correct this problem. I am running a trial on Automation for Jira right now and I would really like to know how to fix this before I spend any money. I am using this on Jira Core Server 7.6.2. So, is this a Jira or Automation problem?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2018

Are the transitions for the next status visible?

Is the Transition visible in the transitions tab?

Is the field value changing as a result of a transition? and you basically want to make 2 transitions with 1 action? Automation for Jira (3.9.4) is not the right tool for this. This should be a webservice not a listener.

Yes, the transition is visible on the transition tab. Jira knows whats up because when I try to manually transition, I get an error that says the task has already been done and I need to refresh the page. I was expecting Automation to change the Status from Not Ranked to In Progress, but it doesn't do it on its own. I am not sure about your comment about the right tool, it seems that the rule looks exactly like I would expect, but I am not in the software industry... I am in the business sector... so I do not know what you mean by a webservice and listener. Are you saying that the rule below will not work?

transition.pngerror.pngrule.png

Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2018

You cannot perform 2 transitions with 1 action. If the value of Problem Rank is changing as a result of a transition than this rules will not work.

Have you tried changing the Problem Rank using the edit dialog on the issue screen?

I think I am doing it as you suggest.

I may not have explained the scenario correctly. A problem is created and is in the first status "Not Ranked".  When the user edits the problem field "Problem Rank", then this rule sees that the value has changed from empty to not empty. Then the transition is changed to Start Progress. This happens, but the screen doesn't display "In Progress", however, Jira knows that it is "In Progress" because when I try to manually change status with the transition button, I get an error telling me that I can't move to "In Progress" because I am already "In Progress". I may need tech support from the developers. This seems to be a bug on their end.

Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2018

If the start progress transition has the follwoing postfunction associated with it, this could be a jira bug.

• set issue status to the linked status of the destination workflow step
Like Lê Minh Trí likes this

Excellent! Thanks for your help! I will follow up with Jira. I thought it might be the plug-in, but this line makes more sense. Thanks!

I just tried my scenario again with this line set to number 1 and still no worky. Thanks for the info!

condition.png

Jason Gabbert July 26, 2018

I am running into this same issue.  Were you able to resolve it?

Michał Rybiński October 12, 2018

I am having very similar issue. I am test-driving automation for Jira plug-in in local server installation and I like it's capabilities very much, however this issue causes it as a definitive no go for final selection as it brings too much confusion for users. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here?

On Kanban board & backlog I want basically all sub-tasks to follow parent task in certain conditions

If someone moves a story/bug/task from one of the statuses, that fall into statusCategory = "In Progress" to "To Do", I want all unfinished sub-tasks to follow.

Screenshot_1.png

As I intend to have it as global rule:

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.pngScreenshot_4.png

The workflow and 2 relevant transitions I use for test:

Screenshot_5.pngScreenshot_6.pngScreenshot_7.png

KanBan board config:

Screenshot_10.png

STEPS:

Enable as global rule

On test project have a story with sub-tasks, at least 1 is DONE

Kanban board: Move story + some of sub-tasks to the in-progress (manually, drag & drop)

Screenshot_8.png

Kanban board: Move story ONLY to the 'Selected for development'  (drag & drop)

Expected: sub-tasks are moved along with parent

Result;

sub-tasks statuses do change, however visually they're on the same place in board.

See screenshot:Screenshot_9.png

After manual page refresh sub-tasks are correctly displayed in appropriate column.

So - what do I do wrong or is there a bug somewhere? And if bug - where to report?

It looks to me like in response to automation rule some action on front-end isn't triggered. Is it possible to somehow force the view to refresh?

UPDATE:

After filing a ticket with JIRA support, I've been rediected to CodeBarrel support, as due to usage of 3rd party plug-in it 'falls outside Atlassian Support Scope'.

I've filed a support ticket to CodeBarrel and waiting for a response, as manual update of related sub-issues is not an option for us in several use cases, for which automation rules would come in handy and 'pure Jira' doesn't deliver them out of the box if I employ custom workflow.

0 votes
Jakub Bobran November 2, 2021

+1 for this issue.

I've also created rule for moving subtasks along with their parent.

Status of subtasks transition corectly. The only issue is that it won't update/refresh Board view. It has to be done manually (single F5/Refresh).

0 votes
Deleted user January 22, 2019

Did you resolve the issue? If I refresh the screen twice the status gets updated, but not before I do it twice.

Suggest an answer