Automation for Jira - timestamp a ticket when a linked issue is transitioned

Jack Arndt January 18, 2020

Hi Everyone!

i need help writing rules to automate the following use case.

Senario:

2 jira projects:

1 customer project

1 team project

Ticket A from the customer project is linked as the parent to tickets  X, Y, and Z from the “team project”.

I have automation in place so that when X, Y, and Z all transition through their workflow, they automatically transition Customer Ticket A.

What I need help with is:

X, Y, Z will all be started on different dates.

When the last of these tickets transitions, I would like to automatically set a custom due date (date+x) on Customer Ticket A. This is so I can provide a SLA date to our customer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Arndt January 29, 2020

Thanks for the help everyone!

You helped me solve it :) Here's what I ended up building:

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 1.00.46 PM.png

0 votes
Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2020
  1. Create a rule that is triggered when issues are transitioned
  2. Filter the statuses based on what you need. i.e., transition parent when all sub-tasks are closed.
  3. Filter the issues you want the rule to work for, i.e., for sub-tasks only.
  4. Create a branch for parent issue
  5. then use a related issue condition and for the related issue, you can have a condition 'all match specified JQL' and the JQL will be status in (done/closed whatever you use).
  6. then use advanced compare condition to validate if the parent issue is in the correct status to transition from
  7. then transition the issue to your desired status
  8. and add an edit rule to use on your custom field with the variable {{now}}. You'll have to create the custom field in Jira and define it as a date type field.

Here's an example of the above rule that can be modified to your needs:

image.png

0 votes
Veera
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 18, 2020

@Jack Arndt 

Since you already have a rule setup for transitioning Customer Ticket A when all the linked tickets in Team project are transitioned, you may add new 'Edit issue' action item to set the Due Date.

You may refer to Advanced field editing, and Working with dates for more details.

Suggest an answer