Automation for JIRA - Linking issues

Davor Sedlan March 1, 2019

How to write setup in Automation for JIRA plugin
that when creating Issue and depending on certain value 
automation should create new task and link them.

I have managed to create the new task based on certain value, but
I am unable to link the tasks. 

In audit log i get this error:

Unknown fields set during create, they may be unavailable for the project/type. Check your custom field configuration. Fields ignored -Linked Issues (issuelinks)

I have link issue field on create form so this should not be the problem. 

3 answers

6 votes
Derek Kelsheimer August 16, 2019

Add "Linked Issues" to the "Create Issue Screen" (Jira Settings > Issues > Screens) that is being used.

Pavel Wasserbauer November 18, 2019

Hi Derek I have same problem unfortunately this did not help.

Luke Cronje August 19, 2020

for any future visitors, this solved our problem. Thanks 

Like # people like this
Shashi Matha February 18, 2021

I have done this but it is not working. Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 4.17.41 PM.png

Onno Broekmans November 10, 2021

Can confirm that this solved the problem for me. Thanks Derek!

Like Derek Kelsheimer likes this
Shashi Matha November 18, 2021

Yes, linking also works fine. 

TimMG December 20, 2021

Also worked for me!

Benjamin Saberin June 14, 2022

Worked for us. Thanks!

Shanay June 29, 2022

Worked. Thanks!

Marc Isikoff October 20, 2022

I have an automation step in JSM to create a new story in another Jira Project.

I select 8 fields to set including Linked Issue but that renders as above with 2 fields to enter and there is no "created by" entry for the top field.

I must admit I don't understand why there are 2 fields to enter for linked issues when you are already operating on creating the in situ issue and just want it linked to the trigger.

The drop down for Linked Issue has 100+ entries in it but alas no "created by"

Derek Kelsheimer October 20, 2022

@Marc Isikoff For each linked issue you have to set a description and the issue it links to. That's what the two fields are for. So the "created by" is the description option you select and then the second field is the actual issue key you are linking to.

There are also two descriptions for each linked issue type. The outward description and inward description.

Hopefully, this example helps illustrate it a little better. Let's say you have issue A (KEY-1234) you are trying to link to issue B (KEY-9876) saying that B is created by A. When you link the two together the different descriptions help properly label each issue depending on where you view it. When viewing issue A, it could read "created KEY-9876", but then on issue B it could read "created by KEY-1234".

"Created by" is not an out of the box option though, so you would have to add it in the Issue Liking section in the system settings.
Settings > Issues > Issue linking

Marc Isikoff October 20, 2022

Derek,

Thanks..so I need to create a couple different linked issue types that I can use.

I have limited permissions so requested those.

Derek Kelsheimer October 20, 2022

@Marc Isikoff Creating the issue linking name and inward/outward descriptions is a one item addition. Once you have the "created by" added, then you can use it over and over again.

"Trigger issue" is the correct one to use as well.

Below is an example of how we use it in automation using the "create new" action. When B is created it grabs the key from A since A is the issue that triggered the automation.

linking-automation.png

Brandon Waring March 14, 2023

Also solved the issue I was having, thank you!

0 votes
Orkhan Hasanov September 26, 2023

@Derek Kelsheimer Thanks ! 

It works.

0 votes
Ben Poulson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2019

Is the linked issue being created by a script, or with an add-on (JSU or something)?

Davor Sedlan March 3, 2019

It is created by  Automation for JIRA plugin

Milo Grika July 17, 2020

Did you configure the Choose fields to set on the Create issue step?

Bobby Lott September 20, 2022

This is what I had forgotten to do set the linked issue field in the automation step of creating an issue.  Thanks,  @Milo Grika. This solved my problem.

Suggest an answer