Automation doesn't accept project name with number for issue parent

Christophe H-M June 17, 2024

I created a rule in which I create a new EPIC and I want to set the Parent to this EPIC in the rule. By default the automation proposes current issue and trigger issue but it is also possible to enter an issue key and use it as parent.

In our company we have many projects with names/keys like "SE", "VRE" or "BL1".

If I enter a key like SE-123 it does work fine. If I enter a key like BL1-123 then Jira doesn't consider it as a key as soon as I enter the "1" of "BL1".

See below the picture. The tooltip should show something like "Issue BL1-" while I type in. But when I enter the 1, it is not recognized as a key anymore.

Anyone has faced same issue? Is it a limitation in Jira? A bug?

I know we can change a project key but the impact would be really huge here. So many dashboards, filters, analysis tools for business, rely on this project that I'm not even sure I can estimate the changes to be done.

image.png

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2024

Hi @Christophe H-M 

That appears to be a known defect, and you may watch / vote for these items to see progress:

The workaround is to use an advanced edit with JSON to set the field, as described in the second link above.

Kind regards,
Bill

Christophe H-M June 18, 2024

Hi,

thank you very much @Bill Sheboy 

I used the workaround as suggested and it worked just fine. 

Regards

Christophe

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events