Automation: Select random minor backlog issue then promote and assign

Eric Spiegel March 31, 2023

I'm having trouble figuring out how to use automation to select a random issue in the backlog. Here's what I'd like the automation to complete, weekly (say Mondays at 9 am):

Select one random backlog issue with a priority of Minor, then transition that issue to In Progress while assigning it to a specific user. 

Has anyone done something like this? I can't figure out how to accomplish it with the automation rules.

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2023

Hi @Eric Spiegel welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Why would you want to automate that?

Example: 2 backlog issues with the same priority still can have a very different estimation (hours or story points) or ranking.

Backlog grooming and sprint planning are a team process.

And if you working kanban, then items should be pulled from the backlog, not pushed.

This is for a Jira board that only I use. I want to do that to help me chip away at wishlist tasks and helps me avoid decision paralysis when picking what to work on.

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2023

Just pick the first one on your list if you don't care about the rest 😁

I do better understand your question for automation now 😉

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

It's kind of like the Netflix problem. So many things to do, but nothing to do.

Like Dave Mathijs likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2023

Hi @Eric Spiegel 

Yes, and...I agree with Dave: pick the first one and just do it  :^)

If you really, really...want the item to be a surprise/random one, you could probably write a rule using the Lookup Issues action, the random() and other math functions, select an item with get(), and then start it.  Doing this, you would learn a bit about automation rules, but probably not reduce the size of your backlog any.

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events