Automation Request: How do I create an automation to automatic move of dependent tasks?

Brian Mason
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 13, 2023

Hi all

I want to create an automation where if I change the due date on a task, I want the start date of the subsequent linked/dependent task's start date to shift automatically and equal the new due date

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2023

Hi Brian - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Create a rule based on a Field Value Changed trigger. 

Enter any conditions that you want. 

Add a Branch for Linked Issues

Then under the branch add an action for Edit Issue and select the Due Date field. 

In the due date field use the code: {{triggerIssue.duedate}}

Brian Mason
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 13, 2023

Thanks so much John

I created the automation but it seems like the dates visually follow that of the sprint now vs. previous waterfall layout

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2023

Ah, yes if it is in a Sprint, it will follow that. 

1 vote
Stijn
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 3, 2024

I tried the above but it does not work. I want that if a parent due date changes the dependent tasks move their start/due date accordingly. In the "Edit Issue Field - Due Date" I have entered "{{triggerIssue.duedate}}" Hope you can help

jira.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events