Automation Push Field value changes from Parent task to child tasks

Bladimir Fernandez
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 12, 2024

Hello,

Here is the idea. We have X number of parent tasks and 1st and 2nd level of child tasks. Therefore, whenever we make a change on the "Parent task" we would like this change to be replicated on the child tasks.

We currently have the next automated taskCapture.png

However, this is not working. What this is currently doing is: "As soon as I change the 1st level child task Parent Name" it will set it back as the Parent task which is great", BUT I need to change all the child tasks to the parent task Partner Name as soon as I change it in the parent task.

I hope this makes sense.

BladimirF

3 answers

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2024

Hi @Bladimir Fernandez 

This should work for a single parent/child relationship...

• Trigger: Field value changed
    • Field to monitor = Partner Name
    • Change type = Any changes to the field type
  • Branch: Related issues
    • Type = Children
      • Branch-Action: Edit issue
        • Field = Partner Name
          • Value = COPY Partner Name from Trigger Issue

---

A few notes on this rule...

• The option "Children" works for both sub-task and standard issue types
  • The COPY option is available via the breadcrumbs (...) next to the field in the "Edit issue" action
    • Select the value which appears to change Current issue > Trigger issue
  • You can add Conditions in here - for example, to specify issue type, or check children exist - but they're not necessary.
  • The rule only executes if it finds issues in the branch
  • This works for a single level, i.e parent > child, rather than grandparent > parent > child

---

Note: For the COPY option, there is a bug (as of 13/04/2024) where selecting the value makes it disappear, see AUTO-1225 

Instead, you can...

• Leave the field on SET (allowing you to populate a value)
  • Set the value from the trigger issue (i.e the parent) using this smart value - {{triggerissue.Partner Name}}

---

Let us know if this works!

Ste

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2024

Hi @Bladimir Fernandez -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

When you need to copy a field from the parent to the child issues, the rule needs to branch to the children first.  For example:

• trigger: some field changes
  • branch: to child issues (such as with JQL, subtasks, etc.)
    • action: edit issue, copying the field from the trigger issue

As @Kalyan Sattaluri noted, the issue types impact how to branch to the child issues, particularly because you note multiple levels of issues.  If you describe the issue types fully it will help to describe a single rule which can update all the child and grandchild issues.  For example, to do this for Epic > Story, Task, or Bug > Subtask

• trigger: some field changes
  • action: lookup issues to gather the children of the trigger issue with JQL
  • smart value condition: check if there where any child issues
  • branch: to child and grandchild issues by building a combined JQL statement
    • action: edit issue, copying the field from the trigger issue

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
Kalyan Sattaluri
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2024

Hello @Bladimir Fernandez 

What you are showing as your rule in your screenshot and what you are describing as current behavior does not match.

Irrespective, Can you clarify what is the Parent issue type? is it Initiative? Epic? And what are the 1st and 2nd level child tasks.. Stories and Sub tasks?

And is the ask that when Parent changes, all children and its children need the field updated?

Suggest an answer