Automation Issue Created -> Send Email

Cyril James April 3, 2023

Hello Team, I would like to set up automation where if anyone creates an issue, I get an email with a link to the story in the email.

I think I just need to use the Send Email Action, but how would I include the URL for the story in the email body.

Thank you.

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Cyril James April 20, 2023

All I did was add {{issue.url}} to my automation when issue created, send email and it sends me a clickable link.  Works.  Thank you

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2023

Hello @Cyril James 

Is there a reason you want to do this with Automation rather than a filter subscription?

Cyril James April 4, 2023

Thank you.  I am not sure why.  :-). 

With automation, I did set up email notification and it works.  It does send me an email when anyone creates a story on my board.  I like it but it does not include a link to the story, just the issue ID.

Thank you!  You guys are so responsive on this forum!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2023

If you choose to use an Automation Rule for this, you can use smart values to add information about the issue to the email content.

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/what-are-smart-values/

Yes!  I was trying to do this but was not getting the syntax correct.  I like this because  its instant notification. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 4, 2023

Do you have the correct syntax now?

If not, please show us what you have so we can help you correct it.

Thanks Trudy!  Let me try here in a bit..

Do I just paste a smart value into the Content section of the email that I am setting up.  Would it be {{issue.link}}

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 4, 2023

If you are trying to insert into the email the key (i.e. ABC-123) of the issue that triggered the rule you would paste into the email Content field {{issue.key}}

Thank you!  Placing issue.key only provides the issue name, not a URL that can be clicked..

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 4, 2023

This page talks about the smart values available under the {{issue}} object.

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-issues/

There is not a "link" smart value. You could manually construct it in your email content thus

https://<yourURL>.atlassian.net/browse/{{issue.key}}

Substitute the appropriate value for your Jira system into <yourURL>

Cyril James October 26, 2023

Hi Trudy, my automation works when someone creates a new story, an email is sent.  

Problem, if someone clones and story, and email is not sent.  

Any idea how to have an email sent to me when someone clones a story.

Are there any other situations when I new issue will not send me an email.

Thank you!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 26, 2023

Hello @Cyril James 

Please show us the complete automation rule you created.

Additionally, exactly how is the cloning process being executed? Does a user open an issue and then select the "Clone" operation from the ... (additional actions) button? Or is the clone being created through some other process?

Thank you Trudy.  Correct, user finds an existing story, selects Clone from the three-dot menu.

automation.jpeg

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 26, 2023

Is this for a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project?

Which of the specified issue types in the condition does the new issue match?

Is the rule getting triggered? What information is available in the Audit Log for that execution of the rule?

I created a rule for a Company Managed project using the Issue Created trigger, and then cloned an issue in that project. The rule was triggered successfully.

Ok.  I am learning more about Jira every day.  

My rule is not getting triggered in this situation.  When someone takes an existing story within one Project and clicks the three dot menu and does a MOVE to a new Project.

I see in the lower right hand pane there is an "Automation" section that shows the automation rules executed for the issue.  I don't see any on this story.

Is there anyway to get an email sent when someone puts a story on my board this way, through the MOVE function.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 26, 2023

Cloning an issue creates a new issue.

Moving an issue does not create a new issue. It re-keys an existing issue.

You will need to use the Issue Moved trigger in a separate rule to take the same action for issues added to the project by moving an issue into it from another project.

Thank you so much Trudy!  I will give it a go.

Like Trudy Claspill likes this

Suggest an answer