Automation: Getting JQL error

Gisela Lassahn May 3, 2024

Hi everybody,

I'm using Automation in Jira Data Center with rule triggered by "Issue linked".

I've created an If-block with the following JQL:

{{issue.project}} not in (STCS, ITGOV) or {{issue.issuetype}} != Epic or {{destinationIssue.project}} not in (STCS, ITGOV) or {{destinationIssue.issuetype}} != Epic or {{destinationIssue.project}} = {{issue.project}}

I'm getting an JQL error saying:

Fehler in der JQL-Abfrage: Das Zeichen "{" ist ein reserviertes JQL-Zeichen. Sie müssen es stattdessen in eine Zeichenfolge einfügen oder das Escapezeichen "\u007b" verwenden. (Zeile 1, Zeichen 41)

Translated in English:

JQL query error: The "{" character is a reserved JQL character. You'll need to put it in a string instead, or use the "{" escape. (line 1, character 41)

What am I doing wrong and how should my JQL look like?

Many thanks for your help and best regards,
Gisela Lassahn

3 answers

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2024

Hi @Gisela Lassahn 

If I understand your question, the JQL statement you show is not valid. 

JQL statements have this syntax: some_issue_field OPERATOR some_value

For example: project IN (ABC, DEF)

Instead you are trying this: some_value OPERATOR some_other_value

For example: ABC IN (DEF)

And so there are no issue fields referenced, leading to the syntax errors.  (JQL is not a SQL, and so does not support those types of logical / comparison operations of data.)

Without knowing the specifics of the problem you are trying to solve, I believe you could either use Issue Conditions or Advanced Compare Conditions, testing the smart values with logical operators.

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2024

Hi Gisela,

Try using just:

issuetype != Epic

it’s just JQL so you shouldn’t need the smart value there.

Hi @John Funk ,

I could do this for the trigger issue, but not for the destination issue, or am I wrong?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2024

Correct. But the error is for character 41, which is before that. 

0 votes
Manoj Gangwar
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2024

Hi @Gisela Lassahn 

Could you please try the below JQL and check?

{{issue.project}} not in ("STCS", "ITGOV") or {{issue.issuetype}} != "Epic" or {{destinationIssue.project}} not in ("STCS", "ITGOV") or {{destinationIssue.issuetype}} != "Epic" or {{destinationIssue.project}} = "{{issue.project}}"

Hi @Manoj Gangwar ,

I've tried your JQL but I'm still getting exactly the same error message.

In the message details I can see that my JQL is resolved to:
(key IN (ITGOV-66) AND (SmartProjectBean{source=Project{self='https://jira....

The "{" after "SmartProjectBean" is on position 41 and seems to cause the problem.

@Manoj Gangwar ,

I've found workaround.

No I have two Smart Value Variables:

• ProjectShortcut, defined as: {{issue.key.substringBefore("-")}}
  • DestinationProjectShortcut, defined as: {{destinationIssue.key.substringBefore("-")}}

Now I can work with these variables.

Many thanks to you for your time!

@Manoj Gangwar :

Now I've got another problem.

My JQL now is:

"{{ProjectShortcut}}" not in ("STCS", "ITGOV") or "{{issue.issuetype.name}}" != "Epic" or "{{DestinationProjectShortcut}}" not in ("STCS", "ITGOV") or "{{destinationIssue.issuetype.name}}" != "Epic" or "{{DestinationProjectShortcut}}" = "{{ProjectShortcut}}"

The error message is:

... error running JQL: "(key IN (ITGOV-66) AND ("ITGOV" not in ("STCS", "ITGOV") or "Epic" != "Epic" or "UTK" not in ("STCS", "ITGOV") or "Story" != "Epic" or "UTK" = "ITGOV"))" - Feld 'ITGOV' existiert nicht., Feld 'Epic' existiert nicht., Feld 'UTK' existiert nicht., Feld 'Story' existiert nicht.
In English:

Field 'ITGOV' does not exist., Field 'Epic' does not exist., Field 'UTK' does not exist., Field 'Story' does not exist

As I cannot create combinations of Issue Field Conditions connected with "OR" in an If-block (only with "AND"), I'm using an If-else-structure with else-if branches and Issue Field Conditions now and do the things in the else-branch instead of the if-branch.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events