Automation: Can't find all issues' field

Claudio Pellegrini August 26, 2022

Hi,

I'm trying to set an automation with a trigger related to a modified field but I can't find the field I'm looking for.

I'm talking about "Parent" (system field) because I need to fire an action when a the value of the "link to parent" change.

Someone can help me?

Thanks in advance,

Claudio.

2 answers

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2022

Hello @Claudio Pellegrini 

Welcome to the community.

Are you working with issues in a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project?

Are you looking at sub-task type issues or issues that are children of Epics?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2022
Claudio Pellegrini August 29, 2022

Hello @Trudy Claspill I'm working with Team Managed proyect (Jira Cloud) and I'm trying to set a trigger when a Story (feature, task, etc) is linked (unlinked) to an Epic.  

The problem is that in the LOV of fields of the "change value issue" trigger i can't find&set neither Parent not Epic value.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2022

Hello @Claudio Pellegrini 

It appears to me that the information in the related post I referenced applies to your situation.

It is a known issue that the Parent field (used in Team Managed projects to note the parent Epic of an issue or the parent issue of a sub-task) is not available to using in the When Field Changed trigger. The work-around to use in similar circumstances is to use the Issue Updated trigger and then check the Change Log to see if the specified field was updated, but according to one of the issues listed in the post

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-22498

...updating the Epic to which an issue is linked in a Team Managed project does not trigger the Issue Updated action. I haven't actually tested that myself, so I would encourage you to try that our to see if the work around actually works.

Claudio Pellegrini August 30, 2022

Hello Trudy,

the workaround could work but in this way the trigger will be active twice, when I modified the issue and when the issue is modified by the automation.

Cheers, Claudio.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 30, 2022

If you have no other rules that would change the parent then you could uncheck the box on this rule for "allow other rule actions to trigger this rule". Then it would be triggered only by manual changes to the parent.

0 votes
Nicolas Tagle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2022

Hello Claudio, 

I think you are trying to use Custom Field, those will not appeared in some dropdown list for automation conditions, you have to use advance condition, and a bit of code, see image below:

1.jpg

You can find the Custom field ID by going to the Jira admin cog  -->issues --> Custom Field --> click the name of the field, see image for example.

2.jpg

And to copy from a parent Issue select the option in the Edit Field Action

3.jpg

Hope this help you out.

Cheers,

Nico.

Claudio Pellegrini August 29, 2022

Hello Nico,

I'm not searching for a custom field but a "system" field, on the contrary I can find the custom field rather than system field  

Here the list of filtered field and below som value returned by invoking API https://xxxx.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/field (I'm looking for the first one "Parent")

image.png

[...]

{
"id": "parent",
"key": "parent",
"name": "Padre",
"custom": false,
"orderable": false,
"navigable": true,
"searchable": false,
"clauseNames": [
"parent"
]
}

[...]

{
"id": "customfield_10200",
"key": "customfield_10200",
"name": "Parent Link",
"untranslatedName": "Parent Link",
"custom": true,
"orderable": true,
"navigable": true,
"searchable": true,
"clauseNames": [
"cf[10200]",
"Parent Link"
],
"schema": {
"type": "any",
"custom": "com.atlassian.jpo:jpo-custom-field-parent",
"customId": 10200
}
}
Nicolas Tagle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2022

Hello Claudio,

I think you should look at the trigger options :

"Issue Link Deleted" and "Issue Linked"

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Claudio Pellegrini August 30, 2022

Hello @Nicolas Tagle It doesen't work because I'm try to fire an action where an issue is linked/unlinked to an Epic while what you suggest I think work only when clone/block/related link is created by an issue

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events